Re: [IRCA] 1500 KHz "Mystery Station"

Neil,

Thanks for passing along that information.

This is also possibly an opportunity to log a new station, depending on how you chose to interpret an ID. If weâre able to narrow the problem now to a single station, report it to their ownership or CE and the problem gets corrected, then anyone who logged the âwarblerâ can state for certain that they logged that station.

Not to mention that the problem makes it difficult to DX an otherwise productive channel (at least here)

A few years ago, I remember KFI in Los Angeles had a problem with drift in their transmitter. Looking at it on a waterfall display, itâs carrier stood out like a sore thumb from all others on the channel.

Now in Europe, some MW DXâer carefully measure frequency offsets of broadcast carriers and will count viewing a carrier at that precise offset as a logging. I personally donât agree with that but donât fault anyone who wants to do so. Each DXâer has to set his own standards for what counts as a logging.

Despite that, I did count the KFI drifting carrier as a loggingâand put a JPEG screen capture of the waterfall display in that listing of my Excel log. Itâs also noted in the remarks column. I hope someday to capture a full audio ID from KFI, but until then, I still count that one in my logbook.

Why? Because the drifting carrier was positively identified has belonging to KFI and it could have been no other station. It was received at my station, so itâs a logging. (In my book)

The same would be true of this mystery signal on 1500. If we can narrow it down to the responsible station, then itâs a logging. Knowing my luck, I already have them in the logâ :-)

I have similar ârulesâ for loggings from the car radio. On AM, they have to be received while the vehicle is within a 5 mile radius of my home. On FM, I count any new logging made within my grid square, EM63. This is a much larger range, but on VHF, we base a lot of stuff off grid squaresâso itâs easier for me.

Each DXâers ruleâs vary, which is fine.

Plus who doesnât love a good mystery? This is like a Scooby Doo episode for grown-ups!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.