Re: [IRCA] â"Science Fiction PL-380"-- Pest Control Version

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your comments.

<<<ÂÂ I'm still puzzled as to the best way to go for nulling of pests, regarding
diameter vs length proportions. Initially the "long and skinny" antennas
such as in the SRF-T615 were praised for their nulling, but now the
"stubby" FSLs appear to have the upper hand.ÂÂÂ >>>

Guy, there's no doubt that the stubby, hard-wired FSL's have really created a new level of nulling capability-- in an entirely different league than the loopsticks or long ferrite rods that preceded them. There are two primary reasons for this. The new hard-wired FSL's are completely isolated away from the radio circuitry, and they have no variable tuning capacitor to upset their RF symmetry. They present a completely symmetrical RF coil for reception purposes,Âwhich can null out pest stations under laboratory-perfect conditions every time. All of the preceding antenna designs were limited either by surrounding radio circuitry, a variable tuning capacitor to upset the RF symmetry, or both.

<<<ÂÂ I guess this is an unfair apples to oranges comparison (hollow FSL vs
traditional solid rod antenna). To compare FSL to FSL then, are you finding
better nulling the "stubbier" you make the antennas?ÂÂ >>>

Yes, there is now no doubt that the shorter and stubbier a hard-wiredÂFSL coil becomes, the greater its nulling capability will be-- so long as the RF design is completely isolated , and completely symmetrical.

<<<ÂÂ Do you recall the large diameter, short rod FSLs that Kevin Schanilec built
inside of Christmas wreath containers? I wonder if those models were
excellent at nulling. I do remember that he did a lot of his testing
indoors, which can screw up nulls and reception completely. High
performance ferrite antennas CANNOT be reliably evaluated indoors!ÂÂÂ >>>

All traditional FSL's (including Kevin's designs) have a variable tuning capacitor-- which is a distraction from a perfectly symmetrical RF reception pattern. The larger and clunkier the variable capacitor, the worse and worse the nulling capability gets. Long hookup wires to a variable cap alsoÂupset the symmetrical RFÂreception pattern, further reducing nulling capability. The new hard-wired FSL's avoid both issues completely-- with perfect symmetry and no variable tuning capacitor.

By the way, all of the local pests except for 1450-KSUH have been nulled down into the noise. My guess is that the over-modulated KSUH is broadcasting on more frequencies than its fundamental, making it tough to null each one :-)

73, Gary

ÂÂÂ

âI'm still puzzled as to the best way to go for nulling of pests, regarding
diameter vs length proportions. Initially the "long and skinny" antennas
such as in the SRF-T615 were praised for their nulling, but now the
"stubby" âFSLs appear to have the upper hand.

Do you think the cylindrical (hollow) design of the FSLs changes the
response to a groundwave pest station so that a high diameter-to-length
ratio *FSL* nulls better than a *solid* rod with a high LENGTH-to-diameter
ratio?

I guess this is an unfair apples to oranges comparison (hollow FSL vs
traditional solid rod antenna). To compare FSL to FSL then, are you finding
better nulling the "stubbier" you make the antennas?

Do you recall the large diameter, short rod FSLs that Kevin Schanilec built
inside of Christmas wreath containers? I wonder if those models were
excellent at nulling. I do remember that he did a lot of his testing
indoors, which can screw up nulls and reception completely. High
performance ferrite antennas CANNOT be reliably evaluated indoors!

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA