[IRCA] Full report, WBOB DX test reception (Arizona)

I had been having problems with my 7'x24' Superloop antenna and suspected
the impedance matching transformer for the feedline, but had been too busy
to take care of that.  Finally, with the WBOB DX test upcoming, I built a
new transformer and while I was at it, built a decade box resistor for the
termination.  As usual, I was using my RTL-SDR/upconverter/pre-amp combo
and gqrx software on a MacBook Pro, and the antenna was pointed 90 degrees
as Jacksonville is almost exactly due East via Great Circle.

The test apparently started at 10pm MST (0500UT), and while I had hints of
Morse code during the second hour (which I might be able to recover from
the SDR recording), I was worried I was going to get shut out.  KCOL was
much stronger than usual and on top most of the time, with KOGO and
presumed KROD frequently in the mix.  However, CW came through quite
clearly around 12:05am MST, followed by several frequency sweeps.  I had
made a "cheat sheet" so I could recognize the call letters in real time.
Upon replay, I was able to decode the entire message.  Nothing received
during the rest of the test.

600 WBOB, Jacksonville FL, weak at 12:05am (0705UT), 35kW(?), CW call (new;
driveway loop), 1809 miles

This was a new state and my 3rd longest overland reception.  Thanks to
Jerry Smith for the test.

Brian Rachford - Prescott, AZ
azswdxing@xxxxxxxxx
http://azswdxing.wordpress.com/