[IRCA] Rockworks, Oregon Non-DX Report for Oct. 24th

I've noticed some comments from Nick, Colin, and Gary that inland DX
reception this morning was "TP dead", "maybe some carriers if I squint",
etc.Fla

Well, those descriptions fit the Rockworks cliffs this morning also! Chuck
Hutton, Dave Aichelman, Chris Black, and myself tried everything but tribal
coastal Indian DX chants to make the TPs (or even DUs) materialize, but it
just wasn't a-happening this morning. No matter what the antenna--from
medium sized Flag loops to compact 1-meter active Wellbrook loops-- the DX
just wasn't appearing. The DXer conversations before and after the morning
sunrise session were good, however!

We were all impressed with Chris' setup for his first Oregon cliffs DXing
session; he had a nifty low-buck table constructed in the back of his small
SUV which looked very comfortable. We did have to do a team "antenna
relocation project" for him, however... his rectangular loop and masts were
far too close to the highway for safety reasons. After shuffling everything
to the west about 20 feet we all breathed a sigh of relief.

I'd say we had *maybe* a dozen TP frequencies in weak to moderate (at best)
audio this morning with perhaps 8 or 12 more frequencies as carriers only.
Most of the signals in audio were big gun Japanese... but barely
propagating this morning. VOA Thailand 1575 was pretty good around the
1420-1430 sunrise enhancement period, but that's the extent of it.

Hopefully Sunday morning will be better!

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
DXing from Rockworks cliffs near Manzanita, Oregon