[IRCA] Masset DXpedtion 15 - 23 October 2015: Part 3

1026 PHILIPPINES Quezon City 25 kW DZAR Sonshine Radio, Oct 21 1414 - Very
good (S9 +10) reception of this very rapid fire stations.  Multiple news
items in Tagalog, interspersed with, 'Newsflash'.  Multiple IDs at 14:20 at
excellent levels!  Fabulous reception. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1026 PHILIPPINES Quezon City 25 kW DZAR Sonshine Radio, Oct 20 1538 - Good
reception noted with preaching in presumed Tagalog, followed by a hymn.
For those interested, measuring 3 Hz high. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1053 JAPAN CBC Nagoya 50 kW JOAR, Oct 16 1507 - Absolutely blasting the
frequency, and no sign of the North Korean jammer, which was audible a
couple hours ago. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1062 AUSTRALIA ABC, Oct 21 1600 - I was happily listening to a very strong
DZEC, and tuned back before the TOH for an ID.  Instead, there was a weak
but clear, ABC fanfare and into news.  So, the big question is which of the
2 weak 2 kW transmitters is this originating from?  Either 4T1 Thursday
Island, or 5RN Renmark?  I'm pleased nonetheless.  I note that the Grayland
crowd have heard both. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1062 PHILIPPINES Pasig, Metro Manila 40 kW DZEC Radyo Agila, Oct 21 1527 -
Excellent reception in Tagalog with a male rapid speaking DJ.  Many
mentions of Manila and Philippines.  An excellent Filipino morning for
sure!. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1080 ALASKA Anchorage 10 kW KOAN Hot Talk, Oct 23 1513 - Call in show about
weather birth in the US should automatically result in American
citizenship.  Tom Anderson show (a local call-in show).  Followed by a
local ad for fresh King Salmon at 12.99 a pound and Halibut 'only' 11.99 a
pound.  1 kHz tone present.  Not sure origin of the tone.  ?KCBS?.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1125 PHILIPPINES Legaspi City 5 kW DWAS FEBC (tent), Oct 21 1434 - A
tentative logging.  I'm sure this is a Filipino, but I'm not certain of
which one.  At good reception with a Christian flavour.  Some oldies music,
as well, followed by 'stand by'.  Suffering from significant splatter from
1130 Vancouver.  Language did not sound Tagalog to me.  PAL also states
they broadcast in 'Bicol'.  Not sure what that sounds like.  By 1440, NHK 2
popped up (between 0.1 and 10 kw, with the latter originating from Okinawa)
mentioning NHK.  TheFilipino is still very well heard, however.  At 14:42,
a well known vocal hymn in English.  I, therefore, assume that this is
indeed DWAS.  No obvious ID at 15:00, with the inevitable fade down, but
rapid fire, presumed sign-off announcements, and then the Philippine
National Anthem.  Interesting for sure!. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1170 ALASKA North Pole 50/21 kW KJNP, Oct 23 1522 - Dominant station this
morning.  Earlier, they were alone on the frequency, but on recheck now,
KBS is starting to dominate, with the latter // to 972. (Salmaniw, Masset,
BC)

1170 SOUTH KOREA Gimje 500 kW HLSR, Oct 20 1753 - Still going very strong
hours after my LSR, in parallel to much stronger 972 kHz.  Cochannel KJNP,
Alaska also strong. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1205 CHINA unknown site CNR 1, Oct 21 1541 - I hear someone on 1205.  Not
in English.  Laid back oriental program.  Only audible on the NW BOG.
Signal strength varies greatly.  I know that Yanbian RGD is on the low
side, but not this low. Who might this be?  Almost as strong as 1206 which
has 2 stations, not well heard on it.  So 1205 is much stronger.  Chuck
Hutton noted this station on April 1, 2006 at Grayland at 12:51, so not a
new station.  At 15:46, definitely Chinese.  As we pass our local dawn, the
signal improves to quite good.  I'm hearing some echos, suggesting multiple
sites.  This is fascinating!  Checking for //, I note that it is CNR1 // to
1593. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1215 Unid, Oct 16 1444 - As so often happens, what starts as a fairly weak
session turns into a monster session.  An interesting frequency at good
level playing 'Dust in the Wind'.  A several word annoucement, and
immediately into another American vocal.  Oriental cochannel, which
disappeared when I switched to my ALA 100 oriented SW/NE.  Then into
'Woman'.  OK, who can this be?  Appears 2 Hz high, with weaker carriers
measuring 1214.990 and 1215.013.  After another English song, all there is
is another quick idea, like 'Radio Rupa' or something like that, and
immediately back to another  vocal in English.  Remains a mystery, as it
faded down by 15:00. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1215 PHILIPPINES Cebu City 10 kW Word Broadcasting Corporation, Radio
Fuerza DYRF, Oct 17 1458 - My highlight this morning.  Full ID in Tagalog,
with lots of English words.  I suspect this was my unid from yesterday
morning.  I'm very pleased.  Lots of mentions of DYRF, permits, the
Philippines, etc. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1314 PHILIPPINES Paranaque 30 kW DWXI, Oct 22 1554 - While making notes,
noted the Philippines national anthem at 16:17, so suspect that DWXI signed
off at this time, and not the listed 18:00 in PAL.  Under JOUF at this late
hour. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1314 PHILIPPINES Paranaque 30 kW DWXI Delta Broadcasting System, Oct 22
1421 - JOUF, presumably, from Osaka, Radio Osaka is dominant here this
morning, but at 14:19, it faded down to reveal DWXI with Tagalog religious
programming up to good level.  Generally a bit of a sub-par morning with
signal strengths down compared to yesterday, and more domestic splatter.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1314 PHILIPPINES Paranaque NCR Delta Broadcasting System 30 kW DWXI, Oct 19
1538 - Presumed logging with a preacher speaking in both Tagalog and
English, but mostly the former.  Lots of 'brothers and sisters', etc.  Good
reception, then faded, and then returned with the Beatles 'Fool on a Hill'.
Faded again, to be replaced with JOUF Osaka at 15:44.  With more Beatles
(Hard Day's Night), so obviously the first Beatles was also from JOUF.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1323 CHINA Hutubi, Xinjiang 300 kW CRI, Oct 22 1426 - Russian programming
at very good level, although still suffering from adjacent splatter.
Parallel 963 at good level (with some cochannel), and also on SW 7330
(fair).  Rechecking at 14:42 had 963 at very good level, and 1323 less so,
with some cochannels, but again improved at 14:45 to very good level.  The
vagaries of propagation!. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1467 KAZAKHSTAN (?) Jammer, Oct 17 1507 - A tentative logging.  Bubble
jamming.  Seems to me I read somewhere that TWR was being jammed here.  In
PAL, there's a 75 kW transmitter in Bishkek, Kirgizstan transmitting Radio
Maranatha between 1445 and 1745 to Pakistan and Afghanistan in
RR/EE/Kazakh/Kirghiz and Uzbek.  So who's doing the jamming?. (Salmaniw,
Masset, BC)

1512 PHILIPPINES ABS-CBN Broadcasting Network Cebu City 15 kW DYAB, Oct 18
1500 - Very nice reception, especially after 15:00 with American vocal
oldies.  No ToH ID.  Remains an tentative, but the style is very Filipino!
Addendum:  listened to the mp3 and confirm that there is a DYAB ID
announcing that they are shutting down for the day, followed by the
Filipino national anthem.  Off at 15:10 or so. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1557 TAIWAN Kouhu 300 kW 1557 Music Interactive Network, Oct 17 1626 - A
superb performer this morning with nice classical piano concertos, so I
don't think that my June 2015 PAL is correct when they have an RTI Chinese
relay listed.  Suffers from (!) HLAZ 1566 splatter. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1566 SOUTH KOREA FEBC Jeju HLAZ, Oct 16 1400 - Of course, superb reception
of this South Korean powerhouse.  I was wondering whether that Chinese
cochannel jammer was still on, as I hadn't heard it reported this season.
Sure enough, there is a cochannel, which appears 34 Hz high, in Chinese.
I'm assuming this is Yanbian?  For a time it was equal in strength to HLAZ,
before fading back to the background. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1566 SOUTH KOREA FEBC Jeju 250 kW HLAZ, Oct 19 1739 - Still going very
strong with an S9 signal.  Recovered very well from yesterday's dismal
Asian opening. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1566 SOUTH KOREA Jeju 250 kW HLAZ, Oct 22 1344 - Just happened upon HLAZ at
the end of their Japanese program.  For about 20 seconds, it appears that
they left the air (presumably while switching antennas) revealing the
cochannel Chinese station.  The transmitter then returned (equally strong)
with their Chinese program.  Usual flame thrower signal. (Salmaniw, Masset,
BC)

1570 HAWAII Haiku Maui 15 kW KUAU, Oct 19 1333 - A tentative reception of
religious station, Maui's Christian Radio.  In the clear with good
reception.  Talking about the Church of Jesus.  Only audible clearly on my
DKAZ, which is aimed pretty much directly at Hawaii.  I'll listen later to
my TR mp3 file to be sure. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1575 JAPAN Iwakuni 1 kW, Misawa 0.6 kW, Sasebo 0.25 kW AFN, Oct 17 1500 -
Very strong with echo effect into network news, indicating multiple sites.
I note 3 AFN stations on this frequency, with power of 0.25, 0.6 or 1 kW.
Very rare to get any local ID at these times.   They're still going strong
at 16:48 as I type this.  (cochannel with VOA Thailand).   At 16:30,
there's an 'AFN Rainbow' ID.  At least I think that's what they said.  I
haven't heard such an ID before.  Perhaps from Misawa 'Your HIt Music
Station', according to PAL.  Perhaps they are catering to the LGBT military
crowd?. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1575 UAE Dhabbaya 800 kW/0 deg Radio Farda, Oct 21 1608 - Noted with
mentions of Iran.  Unusual reception this morning, with a fairly rapid fall
off of TP activity after my LSR.  1566 HLAZ is barely propagating a minute
ago (but back at great strength within 3 min!).  Was good, but within a
minute or two, dropped right off. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1593 JAPAN 10 kW Matsue or Nigata NHK2, Oct 16 1430 - Either JOTB Matsue,
or JOQB Nigata at good level with English lesson, talking about Alcatraz,
and then introduced some British accented English (about being uptight,
because he's English).  Cochannel CNR1 at times taking over the channel.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1610 ALASKA LPAM stations, Oct 16 0426 - Really not much happening on 1610
in Alaska from what I could hear.  Ketchikan, for example, should be very
easy to hear, being due north from my cottage across salt water, about 70
km away.  Nothing is heard during the day on this frequency in Masset.  In
the evening, just a jumble, typical of the lower 48.  I question whether
these registrations are simply that, and nothing concrete has occured.  Of
course, many of the locations that Glenn listed are quite far away, so may
not be heard in any case.  Years ago, I used to hear a TIS in Anchorage, I
believe. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1649.5 JAPAN Maritime Radio, Oct 17 1523 - Sounds like a tape loop, with
mentions of Tokyo.  Weak but in clear.  Seems to have a ? RTTY marker on
1650.  PAL lists only 1651 for these types of broadcast in the vicinity.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1656 AUSTRALIA Brisbane or Sydney 400 W Voice of the Australian Chinese,
Oct 16 1415 - Presumed logging with traditional Chinese  vocals.  Fair
level.  About the strongest X-bander today. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1669 JAPAN 50 W coastal stations Maritime Radio, Oct 16 1412 - Checking the
X-band, I note reception of these 50 watt stations from Japan.  Some were
at fair level, but many not propagating at all.  Fair amount of 1670
splatter, which should improve towards local dawn. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)