Re: [IRCA] Western Superloop--Initial Trials

See below.

> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 12:14:23 -0500
> From: les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; am@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [IRCA] Western Superloop--Initial Trials

> Someone suggested Googling more information about how to best tune the
> Superloop, using Bruce Conti and Mark Connelly as search terms. While I
> can find a lot about the construction of the loops, including a version
> with remote variable resistance, I don't see much about how to maximize
> performance.
That wasn't your original question, which reads "Can't seem to find much online about how to tune these things or gauge performance. How does one know if it's working correctly?
So if you really want to gauge performance and know if it is working correctly, just Google "Conti Superloop" and you'll find http://bamlog.com/superloop.htm with a lot of data on nulls. Keep Googling and you'll find more pages.

> The most helpful suggestion was to do an SDR recording of the antenna
> without the termination in place, then another with the termination
> installed. That's a great idea--which I'll work on now. I need to
> assemble a target list of daytime stations that are to my East and West
> to use to compare.
Why use recordings to analyze the termination effect? Why not do it live, which allows you to tweak the termination to the best value?
By the way, you mentioned that your variable termination is 900 to 1400 Ohms. The lower limit of 900 is perilously close to the average value needed. You are likely safe with 900, but there's a risk.

> Some questions:
>
> 1.) I assumed, perhaps incorrectly that the difference between 75 ohm
> coax and 50 ohm coax wouldn't amount to much. Am I wrong?

Not at all. You'll not notice the difference.
> 2.) Would the Wellbrook FLG100LN-2 be a better option than the DX
> Engineering pre-amp?

Or put a different way, is the FLG100 better than the DX Engineering preamp plus a 16:1 transformer? As far as I can tell, both are fine for a superloop. In other cases, I might prefer DXE plus a transformer rather than being tied to one and only one impedance as the FLG100 is designed for 1000 Ohm antennas.
Chuck