Re: [IRCA] Western Superloop--Initial Trials

I should have provided more details. I'm using a commercially made 16:1 transformer to feed the antenna at one corner. The other end has a 900 ohm non-reactive, fixed termination, also commercially made. Feeding the antenna with 75 ohm RG-6 coax. I also have a variable termination that is 900 ohms to 1400 ohms, non-reactive.

Someone suggested Googling more information about how to best tune the Superloop, using Bruce Conti and Mark Connelly as search terms. While I can find a lot about the construction of the loops, including a version with remote variable resistance, I don't see much about how to maximize performance.

The most helpful suggestion was to do an SDR recording of the antenna without the termination in place, then another with the termination installed. That's a great idea--which I'll work on now. I need to assemble a target list of daytime stations that are to my East and West to use to compare.

Some questions:

1.) I assumed, perhaps incorrectly that the difference between 75 ohm coax and 50 ohm coax wouldn't amount to much. Am I wrong?

2.) Would the Wellbrook FLG100LN-2 be a better option than the DX Engineering pre-amp?

http://www.loop-antennas.com/Components/FLG100LN-2

Thanks for the advice!

--
73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63

Member WTFDA, NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

Sony XDR-F1HD, Sangean HDT-1, Elad FDM-S2, AirSpy.
Denon TU-1500RD w/Ray Dees RDS Decoder,
FM6 Antenna with CM7777 Mast Pre-Amp, RG-11.

"Nothing but blues and Elvis and somebody else's
favorite song..."

AM DX
Elad FDM-S2, Wellbrook ALA1530+ Loop, Clifton Labs Active
Whip, Superloop. Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector