Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:37 PM
To: Jim Dale
Subject: Re: [IRCA] [MDXC] Desert DXPedition

We turned up some troublesome results with extended Cat-5 transmission
lines that will be the basis for a follow-on report.

Did you use explosives (g)

Sincerely
Todd Skaine
Woodbury, MN
Sony ICF 2010
Toyota car radio
On May 10, 2015 8:10 AM, "'Mark Durenberger' Mark4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [MDXC]" <
MDXC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 90-second Desert-DXPedition report:

CX were excellent 042815--050215.  A LOT of time was wasted on trying to
get good F/B on D-Kaz 140 x 22's...until we went back to the basics*****
and THEN it really hummed.  Two D-Kaz 140 x 22 in Broadside (340-foot
separation) produced marvelous results; heard well over a hundred stations
not previously copied. The real satisfaction was hearing stations down the
bore-sight of the Broadside while the antenna rejected other Co's lots
closer but outside of what appeared to be a nice, narrowly-focused main
beam.

Experiments with a 1000-foot MW horizontal loop were disappointing
(likely, at 25 feet, not high enough).

A 1000-foot BOG worked as BOGs usually do...though F/B nulls were not
great.

Were able to load a 30-foot vertical in such a way as to create a
fairly-wide "sweet spot" that increased antenna sensitivity without
creating a sharply-tuned situation.

At one point we had five antennas up over a few acres of desert and did a
lot of comparison recording.  We also "pre-swept" some antennas using a
RigExpert Antenna Analyzer.  That showed us SWR, Reactance, Resistance,
Phase etc.

Then the winds picked up and that precluded our intended comparisons among
two large Super-Loops and some âD-Kaz-on-steroidâ lengths with larger
aspect ratios.  Those are now goals for the next DXPedition.

Power this year was provided via *solar cells* recharging deep-cycle
batteries that powered our lap-top-charging inverter.  (We were doing so
much construction that we had the down-time for re-charging.)  At the Ft.
Wayne July convention we hope to present a seminar on the RIGHT way to
power field equipment for continuous, no-charging, low-noise operation <g>

Weâll be sorting the data for months.  So far we've published a log of the
Broadside catches (ping me if you want an Excel copy).

*****  *We turned up some troublesome results with extended Cat-5
transmission lines that will be the basis for a follow-on report.*

Cheers!

Mark Durenberger

 __._,_.___
  ------------------------------
Posted by: "Mark Durenberger" <Mark4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
------------------------------
â  Reply to sender
<Mark4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Re%3A%20Desert%20DXPedition> â  Reply to
group <MDXC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Re%3A%20Desert%20DXPedition> â Start
a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MDXC/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNTc2bTRmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4Mzg3MzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQzMTI2MzQxNw-->
â Messages in this topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MDXC/conversations/topics/6781;_ylc=X3oDMTM0ZjIyamprBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4Mzg3MzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BG1zZ0lkAzY3ODEEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxNDMxMjYzNDE3BHRwY0lkAzY3ODE->
(1)
Visit Your Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MDXC/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlM201cXE0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4Mzg3MzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQzMTI2MzQxNw-->

 [image: Yahoo! Groups]