[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 1-7, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page34

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 960, May 1 at 0605 UT, open carrier/dead air from local KGWA Enid, but resumes at 0606 UT with `Overnight America`. Don`t know if just missed a commercial break or off for 6 minutes, in a total Fox-hole like occasionally occurs at 0500-0505 UT, altho not caught then lately in several random chex (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [non]. 1020, May 2 at 0047 UT on caradio, KOKP Perry is still off the air, with the frequency easily occupied by Spanish, ad for Acme something in AC 402, i.e. eastern Nebraska, KMMQ Plattsmouth. May hours for full 50 kW daytime power are now 1100-0130 UT, lobe westward (same pattern at night with 1.4 kW).

1020, May 2 circa 0150 UT on caradio, KDKA Pittsburgh PA is now the only station to be heard. No LAH either, but maybe a bit too early for KCKN Roswell, which other monitors agree is the likely source of it

1020, May 2 at 1850 UT midday check, KOKP Perry is still off.

1020, May 3 at 2034 UT check, KOKP Perry is still off (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, May 4 at 1850 UT, KOKP Perry is still off. But found this tweet via their not renamed website,
http://tripleplaysportsradio.com/

``Triple Play Sports @TriplePlayRadio 27 April --- 1020AM is out of commission. Sorry for inconvenience. Hope to have it back middle of next week. Until then listen on 105.1, 1580, or online`` So that would be May 6. Still off at 1921 UT May 5. The trio may be /// or split up if there is more than one stupid ballgame at a time (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, May 7 at 0057 UT, KOKP Perry is still off; expected to be back on by May 6 after a sesquiweek absence. But it is back at seeming full strength, May 7 by 2126 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, May 2 at 1850 UT midday check, KETU Sperry is off again.

1120, May 3 at 2034 UT, regional Mexican music from KETU is on. Unexpected ID over music at 2034 UT sure sounded like ``KEOR, Tulsa``. Can it be that the station itself doesn`t know the calls have officially changed? Recheck of KETU callsign changes at FCC AM Query now shows it went from KEOR to KETU on 11/21/2012! That can`t be correct. It was heard as KEOR when active last year or two. Has the call been changed retroactively??? Or an FCC SNAFU? O yes, as in DXLD 15-07, from NRC DX News: ``1120 KEOR OK Catoosa â Call change to KETU (changed in database Feb. 2015 where it says the effective date was Nov. 21, 2012)``

Recall that KEOR was originally on 1110 in Atoka, SE OK, but entire station was moved to Catoosa and 1120 to open up 1110 for yet another station in The Metroplex TX. Ever since it began in Catoosa, it`s had long stretches of silence.

Not sure I really heard them say ``KEOR``, I check again near hourtop, at 2057 UT May 3, but only ID is for ``La Picuda, desde Los Ãngeles``. Perhaps the call IDs regularly occur circa :35 past the hour only? I try again around 2135 UT, but reception is worse in local noise level and I can`t make anything out, and there is already a SAH of 6 Hz, evidently KMOX starting to show already 4 hours before sunset??! So I still haven`t ever heard them ID as KETU.

Another check at 0123 UT May 4, now it`s better with some skywave of its own setting in, Mexican music and ``La Picuda``. May official SR/SS for it are 1115/0130 UT. Maybe I`ll eventually catch a sign on/off with full ID. FCC has no correspondence on file since 2013y, when they were granted PTA but restricted due to errors in the application:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=40990
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, May 4 at 1852 UT on caradio, Tulsa station with regional Mexican music voice-overs ID with call letters and again 30 minutes later at 1922 UT, so is that the rotation or is it random? They never do legal IDs at hourtop, just ``La Picuda, desde Los Angeles`` which is also the slogan with variations every few minutes thruout the hours. And that was it at 1951, not call letters.

It was incredibly hard to copy the letters they are saying in Spanglish, always mixed with music, but certainly not `KETU` which is the call for this facility at FCC AM Query! Trying to catch an official sign off, 0128 UT May 5, but appears to be already off as I am getting nothing but KMOX and KTXW.

More tries when back on the next morning: only ``La Picuda`` May 5 at 1351 UT, 1354 UT, 1357 UT, 1401 UT. 1403 UT ``lomejorderadio.com`` promo, sounded like, but no such site. Finally at 1405 UT, accented English, ``KEOR, AM 1120, Catoosa, Oklahoma``. So what`s this ``KETU`` business with the FCC? Which is it, really really? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1772, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, May 7 at 0057 UT check, KEOR/KETU is off as far as I can tell in the storm noise. May 7 at 2126 UT, in storm noise I do detect a carrier from its azimuth (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, May 2 at 0542 UT, KGYN Guymon still sloganing as ``Today`s Best Country`` rather than ``US Country``.

It seems that KGYN is now a mere subsidiary of the several-station group Steckline Communications out of Kansas, a.k.a. Mid America [Ag/News] Network. Uninformative website http://kgynradio.com/kgyn still displays the ``US Country`` seal, FWIW.

Many stations around America use the slogan ``Today`s Best Country`` but is it syndicated or doing their own thing? Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Country_Today
says it was the name of a Cumulus syndication, but changed to the above, so maybe T.B.C. is up for individual grabs?

This website appears to have lots of linx:
http://kgynnewsroom.com/
but they are unfound and itself went dead in July, 2013. Some ``news``! (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, May 4 at 0555 UT, Guymon with ``Today`s Country, 1210, KGYN`` for northeastern New Mexico, ``from the 90`s till now``. So that is how Today is defined. Still I have no longer heard them utter ``US Country``.

But Terry Krueger, FL, reported, ``1210 OKLAHOMA KGYN, Guymon. 1035 May 3, 2015. End of weather forecast from TV Meteorologist, male canned, "US Country, KGYN."`` The TV weather no doubt comes from an Amarillo station (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[with apologies to those only interested in AM, but FM and TV are inextricably mixed in together:]

** OKLAHOMA. During the May 6 tornado and flood outbreak around OKC, from the sidelines in Enid, I quickly check the AM & FM dials to find what`s going on with OKC radio, as the four major TV stations are in wall-to-wall coverage even in prime time. Most radio stations have a deal with one TV station or another. And of course stations in a single cluster all go with the same TV station.

930, May 7 at 0123 UT, as I tune in WKY it`s in English relaying some TV station, but then to Spanish voice-over/under; so it`s in-and-out. Later on at 0134 UT a SHVA ad in Spanish takes priority

Most of the commercial FM stations are picking up TV weather, but not necessarily // even if same source, due to varying delays. Also, radio stations are subject to interruption by NWS alerts, frequent tornado warnings by automaton, while TV stations are not, but as relayed on radio, their coverage gets interrupted rudely, and these too are different delays, not synchronized from one frequency to another, tho presumably all coming at exactly the same time originally from NWS.

Here is some more of what I noted in the 0126-0133 UT period May 7:

96.1, with KFOR

96.9, // 98.1 a few seconds delayed; also same on 98.9 but cuts to NWS ahead of 98.1

102.7, NWS with big hum, resumes // KFOR

104.1, & 102.7 with KWTV audio, not NWS when others are in it

101.9, NWS out of synch with others, late or early?

100.5, & 99.7 with wx coverage unknown source

95.1, KQCV NOT with weather but gospel music, likewise its AM 800 with a regular gospel huxter: who cares about tornados? God will take care of them!

94.7, not NWS, but 93.3 & 92.5 TV wx interrupted by NWS

91.7, KOSU, Crazy public radio with normal programming

90.1, KUCO, classical, normal programming amid `Performance Oklahoma`

89.7, gospel huxter House music station way up here in Ponca City, KJTH, surprised to find running KFOR wx, and also on // 88.5 KZTH, which is in the OKC area, Piedmont

1000, KTOK with KFOR 4 [RF 27]

 640, KWPN Moore, with weather from somewhere, instead of sports!

1520, KOKC with KWTV 9 [RF 39]

1640, KZLS running NWS advisory the one time I check

Other OKC MW stations were either off by now or inaudible in the noise and/or skywave interference level: 890, 1140, 1220, 1340, 1460, 1560.

I never recognized KOKH Fox 25 [RF 24], or KOCO ABC 5 [RF 7] on any of the radio stations, but later on KGOU website see that they teamed up with KOCO, on 106.3/105.7 etc., normally not audible directly here.

KWTV put uninterrupted CBS programming on KSBI 52 [RF 23] well into Letterman, then for the rest of his show ran on both channels, with some weather interruptions.

KFOR NBC programming got lost, but maybe they will put the primetime shows on a few overnights later. Next morning they stayed with Today Show, since they have their own local morning show at same time on KAUT 43 [RF 40]. Regular co-host Emily Sutton was there after having been out storm-chasing last night.

KOCO might have put ABC programming on its 5.2, but not noticed doing so until aftermath coverage the next morning at 1330 UT, referring us to that for GMA, temporarily replacing MeTV: first time I`ve caught them doing this (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, May 5 at 0623 UT, two ESPN stations in English, mutually nullable and a few words out of synch, one NW/SE, the other less so --- in all probability my two nearbies, KSIR Brush CO, and KTNZ Amarillo TX as in NRC AM Log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Well now. Driving around in Eastern Utah at night, 1020 comes complete with Spanish, and the afore-mentioned offset frequency. It's probably KCKN Roswell NM (Mark Durenberger, On The Road Again, April 30, MDXC yg via DXLD)

** U S A. "UNIDENTIFIED. 1130, April 28 at 0657 UT, Mexican music peaks counter-clockwise from KWKH Shreveport, which rules out central Mexico, so Central America? No Cubans listed. Or, from the other side, maybe Sinaloa or Sonora. Need to keep on this one. No likely USA SS unless daytimers in TN or GA happen to be nighttimers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) "

Glenn: -- Several dates with a remote receiver in NE Atlanta Metro have revealed regular cheating by WLBA/1130 in Gainesville; seems to be on all night every night, probably using Critical Hours power (1kW, I believe). -- GREG HARDISON, May 2, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1660, May 3 at 0120 UT, dominant signal has Nostalgic announcer and ``Sunny Side of the Street``, loops NNE/SSW. Most likely KQWB West Fargo ND, but it was last known to be Classic Country format; rather than ``KMBZ`` business format from KC/MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---