[IRCA] Antenna pattern testing of a MW tuned loop

In preparation for some testing I want to do with a Superloop antenna once
I can figure out a reasonable way to rotate it, I did some pattern testing
yesterday on my 6-foot tuned loop.  I used my SDR and a simple hiking
compass to take signal strength readings on 4 local and local-ish stations
in 10 degree increments, plus extra measurements near the two nulls in the
pattern.  I was pretty happy with the results, but there were a few
oddities (the two nulls for each station were considerably different, the
directional patterns were significantly skewed for my hyper-locals, and a
few other things).  A full writeup is too long for the list and wouldn't be
complete without the plots, but I've put up a detailed blog post, including
the pattern plots:
https://azswdxing.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/gear-pattern-test-of-am-bcb-tuned-loop-antenna/

I haven't seen a lot of full pattern testing data on-line, but it's
obviously much more difficult to do for larger antennas.  Comments welcomed
and encouraged.

Brian Rachford - Prescott, AZ
azswdxing@xxxxxxxxx
http://azswdxing.wordpress.com/