Re: [IRCA] KARN 920/KAAY 1090 Little Rock, AR

None of this is anything new.

As of today neither station's records in the FCC database
show grants of Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for
Silent STAs. If filed and granted recently they may not have posted
yet. Neither station's Facebook pages or websites say anything about being
off the air.

In a December 27, 2010 application for an Engineering STA KARN said that
approximately 300 feet of copper transmission line was stolen on December
23, 2010. It requested authority to operate at 25% of licensed power (1,250
watts) nondirectionally at night. That STA was granted on January 3, 2011.
It has been operating under extensions of that STA ever since.

In a March 2, 2015 request for extension of the STA KARN said
"RLH-CBC has determined that the cost to repair KARN will be substantial.
RLH-CBC hopes to be able to file an application for a modification of the
KARN facilities once the FCC issues a decision in the pending
proceeding in MB (Media Bureau; my addition) Docket 13-249, Revitalization
of the AM Radio Service. Based on inquiries with FCC staff and earlier
announcements, the new rules may be adopted later this year. Once the new
rules are issued, RLH-CBC will be in a much better position to determine
the best course of action for restoration of improved nighttime service. In
the meantime, RLH-CBC respectfully requests an extension of its Special
Temporary Authority".
In a December 8, 2010 application for an Engineering STA KAAY said
"Sometime during the evening of December 1, 2010 persons entered the KAAY
transmitter site and stole a significant amount of transmission line from
the station's antenna system. A significant amount of copper electrical
wiring was also stolen". It requested authority to operate at 20% of
licensed power (10 kW) nondirectionally at night. That STA was granted on
December 10, 2010. It has been operating under extensions of that STA ever
since.

In a June 8, 2011 request for extension of the STA KAAY said "The
KAAY site was again vandalized by copper thieves on December 16, 2010 and
January 2, 2011. The January incident resulted in severe damage to the
KAAY directional array that will require major reconstruction of the
facility to restore directional operation". Its most recent application for
extension of the STA was granted on January 20, 2015.

I'm not saying these stations aren't off the air. I'm relaying STA
information from the FCC database. KARN is 5 kW fulltime DA-N and should
get out quite well when not damaged. KAAY is Class A clear channel (shared
with WBAL) 50 kW fulltime DA-N and should be worth a lot of money. 10 kW
nondirectional is still quite a good signal. I don't see either license,
especially KAAY's, being turned in. However this is Cumulus Media,
notorious for making bad decisions. I apologize if that offends anyone. It
is only my opinion.