[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, February 6-12, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page30

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2598 & 2749-USB decommissioned? Hi Bill, Random chex evenings here have not turned up any of the marine weather broadcasts on these frequencies. I believe they were about to be decommissioned this year, so have they been now? 73, Glenn Hauser (Feb 9 to William Hepburn, of http://www.dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm via DXLD) Hi Glenn, All USCG wx on 2670 kHz has been decommissioned, but as far as I know the Canadians are still on. Heard Rivière au Renard simulcast on both frequencies the other night (Bill Hepburn, Feb 9, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Feb 7 at 2057 UT, KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is still open carrier dead air. How long has it been? Latest spate I first noted January 19, so that makes 19 days at least so far (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Still Feb 12, totaling 24 days

** OKLAHOMA. 1140, Feb 8 circa 2040 UT on caradio, KRMP OKC is in dead air, for at least a few minutes, like 1120 KEOR Tulsa is constantly; and the latter still so 24 hours later Feb 9 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1360v & 1420v, Feb 7 at 2038 UT, spurhets are back from strongest local, 1390 KCRC. This time I`m on the porch, nice sunny afternoon, DFing with the DX-398, and they do point to KCRC. Stronger het is on 1360, since victim KPHN El Dorado KS, EWTN has more of a signal than 1420, KTJS Hobart OK. The pitches are slightly different, estimated per my keyboard which doesn`t go that low, but trying to match an octave higher: approx. 170 Hz on 1360, 155 Hz on 1420. (At night on 1420 there is a much bigger rumble, some other station way off.) (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

========================

** U S A. 550, Feb 7 at 0122, Nebraska weather forecast so briefly hope I am getting wide-coverage KFYR Bismarck ND, 5 kW which has a minor nite lobe southward, but then on to Oklahoma and Kansas forecasts, so it`s just KFRM Salina KS, as soon IDing, ``Voice of the Plains, 550-AM, KFRM``, then `Agriculture Today`. It`s only 110 watts at night with circular pattern tangent toward the southwest, same as daytime with 5 kW and big local-quality signal here. BTW, NRC AM Log also shows KFYR has similar slogan ``Voice of the Northern Plains`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Feb 9 at 1307 UT, Spanish romantic music from SSW, 1309 UT segué but interrupted incomplete at 1310 UT by ID mentioning ``La Frontera``, 1311 UT into YL with ``las noticias de la frontera``, poor signal and fading but no WHAS or KTIC. As there are no XE 840s close to the border, it must be KVJY Pharr TX in the RGV, 5/1 kW U4 which is News/Talk per NRC AM Log, ``Informativa 840``. Major lobe goes NW, with a null toward WHAS, and not much toward us; official February sunrise is not until 1315 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Feb 11 at 0133 UT, silly ballgame in Spanish involving the Monarcas de Morelia, ``Radio Tiempo`` mentioned? But 0134 UT, ESPN Fútbol jingle; add for Sprint naming its nemesis, AT&T, with extremely long condensed tag even a native speaker could not follow, but that keeps them legal! 0135 UT ad for something costing 22.99, oil change? 0136 UT Wendy`s 99-cent item. 0137 UT back to Monarcas game in some estadio? ``Goooooal`` right away --- no, that`s just in another promo.
Yes, that`s a real team in Mexico, named not for the endangered flutterby wintering in Mexico, but for three (human) monarchs on the Morelia city flag..

It must be KVJY 840, here under Brownsville-McAllen [isn`t about time those cities got latino names, let alone Pharr??]
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/226774/lista-de-afiliados
altho I heard KVJY at 1311 UT Feb 9 doing non-sports news; both times presumed with no definite ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, Feb 9 at 0605 UT, the Vernal Utahn continues to reach out far beyond what ought to be its night coverage area, i.e. a 1 kW lobe to its NE, rather than a 5 kW ND daytime pattern. ID for ``104.5 & 920, KVEL``, weather, notices of traffic delays on hiways due to construxion, or weather?

Wolf Creek Pass mentioned --- yes, there is one in NE Utah, besides the better-known one in Colorado we have traversed a number of times, and pine to do so again (in the summer!).

NRC AM Log shows 104.5 is --- you guessed it --- really just a translator, K283BN, now getting top billing as legacy AM stations continue to dis their roots. At least KVEL covers its routes. Has no problem surpassing KLMR Lamar Colorado, much closer in same direxion.

920, Feb 9 at 1249 UT, there`s KVEL again (or still) with ID after promo for HS football in HD, via VTV Channel 6. Apparently cable only, not on air, per http://vtvchannel6.com/ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Feb 7 at 0118, WKY OKC is not ``indomable`` now as I can null it completely to hear English --- and immediately ID as WTAD Quincy IL, with local ad, ``Talkradio 9-30, WTAD``, plug the KHQA Super Fan Shoutout, that being TV channel ``7`` in Hannibal-Quincy {which I used to analog-DX by tropo], which by the way here is pronounced Quinsy, not Quinzy (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1290, Feb 8 at 0705 UT, ID only for ``102.7 WIRL``, and classic rock, loops NE/SW. Search leads right to Peoria IL, and 102.7 isn`t WIRL at all but another FM translator, W274BM, wagging this dog of an AM station, which is really WIRL on 1290, 5/5 kW U4, officially ``Good Time Oldies``. Night pattern has major lobe to NNE, somewhat lesser lobe to the SSW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, Feb 8 at 0718 UT, ``Christian programming all day and all night here on WMOB, Mobile`` AL and country gospel tune. As others have concluded, can`t be on night power and pattern of 200 watts southwards into the Gulf; day power is 9 kW and supposedly also south only, so really ND? There are also 1360 stations in the Ark-La-Miss between us, being overcome, unheard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Elsewhere I heard a news interview with someone there who pronounces it ``MOE-bull``

** U S A. 1490, Feb 7 at 0702 UT, CBS Sports Radio, briefly atop the graveyard, roughly ENE/WSW I thought, but
http://radio.cbssports.com/stations/
which has a good quick search funxion on the frequency or whatever, immediately comes up with the station I feared, KTOP, Topeka KS, which at 200+ miles to the NE is my most usual nighter on 1490. Other six are in CO, IA, MS, OR, VA, WI. Dubuque`s WDBQ would be second choice from here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Feb 8 at 0658 UT, something in English instead of KEDA San Antonio Tejano usually dominant; DJ mentions G&E Studios, 1-877 phone. So this is KGBC Galveston TX, which mainly relays CRI English from the ChiCom; only 250 watts at night and // 1520 KYND Cypress TX hitting Houston from another angle, but nothing of that audible now vs KOKC/KOLM mess. [Stephen Luce, Houston, reminds me that KYND is a daytimer.]

At 0706 UT, KEDA is gaining, making fast SAH with KGBC music, so apparently not a CRI relay at this time. Note G&E has other 1540 stations, 50/30 kW U4 CHIN Toronto; and 50 kW D3 = direxional daytimer WNWR Philadelphia. What I am getting does loop further counter-clockwise from KEDA, but not that much (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 2660, Feb 9 at 1150 UT, I am awake too early, so seize the opportunity to re-chase the very weak harmonic here. Music is JBA; 1159 UT signal surges a bit, as fundamental 1330 is going from 77 watts night to 500 PSRA? (and what fraxion on x 2?). 1200 UT legal ID I can almost copy as ``KGLD, 1330, Tyler``. Gospel music continues past 1206 UT. Also 1230 UT, gospel music fades up and down.

Before 1300 UT I am back on 2660 hoping for a clearer ID, and I get it! Absolutely, positively over gospel music, says ``KGLD, 1330, Tyler`` (and with ``AM`` but I lost track of whether before or after ``1330``). So they`re good about legal IDs at tops of hours, if not harmonic suppression. 1300 UT is KGLD official Feb sunrise, but maybe already on 1 kW day power? JBA carrier still at 1343 UT after sunrise here.

I am unaware that anyone else has ever reported DXing this harmonic; if so, please speak up. BTW, I see in NRC AM Log, its business address is in Baytown, faraway eastern suburb of Houston.

Despite the thousands of US MW stations, harmonics in the 2-4 MHz area remain extremely rare. Those with no local noise level should hunt them out better than I can, before spring T-storm noise builds up. I`m talking about DX-propagated harmonix, not locals, unless a local harmonic is so strong you think it could get out for DX.

I also hear a JBA carrier at times on 2910, presumably 3 x 970 XEVT from Villahermosa, Tabasco (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1760, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 700, Feb 11 at 0128 UT, WLW easily nulled completely revealing a Spanish gospel huxter exclaiming ``en el nombre de Jesús``, 0129 UT about a ``bendición``, so it`s almost over with a benedixion? Not exactly; finishes sermon almost breaking up (emotionally, not modulationally), aleluyas, mentions Hermana Gonzales and I guess that`s she on the air at 0131 UT. Can`t stand it any longer, and besides, it`s fading. Not familiar with any XE on 700 with such a format if full-time. Of the Central Americans on page 540 of the WRTH 2015, the most religious station name is Radio Inspiración, TGAJ, 1 kW in Escuintla, Guatemala. But wait! In order to consider that I would have to rule out 920-watt KHSE in Wylie (Dallas) TX, Spanish religious format I now remember, which is probably this, and it is roughly north/south (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---