Re: [IRCA] Array Solutions SAL-30

Hi Brandon,

I'm afraid this has been in my "to do" pile for rather a long time, but I very much enjoyed your submission to the IRCA list about the SAL-30, and the later one about the SAL-12. I was wondering if I could re-publish it in the IRCA Technical Column, and if so, whether you had other things that you would want to add to it?

You mentioned the DKAZ and the DXE NCC-1 with phased active whips, and a more detailed comparison with those might be very interesting. Where did they fall down in comparison with the SAL-30?

One concern I have here is that phased antennas tend to lose a bit of desired station's signal strength while they are reducing the undesired station's signal strength. In Pacific coastal locations, I have sometimes found that loss enough to lose DX in the receiver noise. A test last year with the Wellbrook ALA100 phased array left a FLG100 amplified Flag antenna in the dust as far as nulling, but the Flag was robust enough to deliver better overseas signal strength in spite of the additional domestic interference.

Mind you, I just used the array at Grayland with higher gain head-end preamplifiers, and the array was pretty comparable to a 1000' Beverage, so simply more gain before the phaser may be the key.

In your location, do you ever find (probably in the daytime) that you can null a station into the noise and then can't hear something that you can hear (with lots of interference) on another antenna as I described above? (this in reference to the SAL-12 in particular)

Thanks.

best wishes

Nick