[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, August 22-28, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page25

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Aug 22 at 0546 UT, KSPI daytimer carrier from Stillwater is still running all-night, obvious with WBBM almost nulled, and making a fast SAH with it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Aug 25 at 0531 UT check, 250-watt daytimer KSPI Stillwater is *still* running open carrier all night, obvious via groundwave here with WBBM nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1270, Aug 28 at 0509 UT, Mexican music dominating and SHVA ID at 0510 UT as ``La Zeta 12-70 AM``, loops E/W while another with Spanish talk is in its null N/S. Same canned ID heard when I was awake at 1054 UT Aug 28. Zeta is of course KRVT Claremore OK (Tulsa market), not to be confused with ``La Que Buena`` format which moved to 1530 KXTD Wagoner, a daytimer cheating for a week all-night. 1270 is 5/1 kW U4, so legally on air at night, lobe to the WSW, but not a null toward Enid and Liberal like in the daytime. The other SS is KFLC Fort Worth, 50/5 kW U4. Zeta has rather negative connotations in the drug and gang world, but station must consider it positive? Googling on Zeta 1270 finds two others, WMIZ in Vineland NJ, and XEAZ in Tijuana (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [non]. 1530, Aug 22 at 0137, daytimer KXTD Wagoner, ``La Qué Buena`` has finally turned off its 24-hour operation since at least Aug 16, re-audiblizing WCKY now with ESPN baseball scores. I would have preferred the Mexican music if it were legal. Also see other 1530 log under U S A (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1736, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Aug 25 at 0546 UT, KZLS Enid-Hennessey-OKC is in open carrier/dead air, except always with hum. AGAIN/Still? so at next check 1203 UT. Finally at 1206 UT a solo YL rendition of the national anthem, as if it were a deliberate sign-on?, hard rock theme and into ``The Ride with Reid`` Mullins, local talkshow. He bids farewell to ex-OK congresscritter Ernest Istook, who had been doing a show here at 11 am until last Friday, but stand by for ``the biggest announcement in 25 years in OKC``. A new show which has never *officially* been on the air in OK, to replace Istook from 11 am [16+ UT] today. Reid keeps teasing about this to be revealed at the end of his own show.

So stemming my revulsion at his anti-Democratic, far-right Republican diatribes, including denigrating Michael Brown on the day of his funeral, I keep listening with one ear off and on. This allows me to perceive what a sorry excuse for a radio station KZLS is, not only from the programming but from the technical standpoint. Modulation is interrupted unpredictably for varying periods of time; STL problem? This has been going on for ages. At 1257-1300+ UT just OCDA and hum; 1318 UT he`s back talking politix (what else?). Blaze `news` is interrupted at 1403 UT for 3 minutes of DA, till 1406 UT Reid resumes; at 1407 he mentions that the new show was formerly heard only on pirate stations in OK.

Now I`m quite sure he`s referring to Alex Jones, whose live broadcast is at 11 am -2 pm CT (hmmm, what a coincidence, same time as Rush), because I myself had heard Jones on OKC and Enid FM pirates. 1427 UT during weather, mod cuts off again, on and off during car dealer ad (his only sponsor? Heard same several times), still off past 1431 UT; 1449 UT DA again; at 1455 he`s now promised the Big Announcement will be next, but guess what?? DEAD AIR AGAIN past 1501 UT so I turn off in disgust. 1526 UT check: DA; 1557 UT check still DA. 1600 UT comes alive with part of an ad, Blaze news. 1608 UT confirmed: Alex Jones - Infowars finally starts {Turns out to be with a subsitute, whose style if not content is much more palatable than AJ: whenever I encounter his constant rage on WWCR, I accelerate my tuning} (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===============

** U S A. 630, Aug 23 at 1837 UT on caradio, weak almost readable talk signal, in the absence of IBOC from 640 KWPN Moore, but in the presence of some AM splatter. Surely KHOW Denver at the edge of its 5 kW groundwave while in a quiet spot, 5 minutes after local mean noon. Could not hear it an hour later driving elsewhere in Enid. Per sked at
http://www.khow.com/onair/saturday/
it`s `America`s Wealth Management Show` during this hour only on Saturdays.

Comparable signal to 50 kW KLTT, 670, which is more commonly heard here in daytime, noise level permitting. On 630, day lobe favors SSW from Denver, but not a complete null toward us, while at nite we have a lobe right at us; on 670, daytime lobe is mostly to the WSW, also unfavorable; per the NRC AM Pattern Book (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, take a look at Radio Locator. It seems to me that while there are prominent lobes as aforementioned, It seems both of them seem to go more your way. Sincerely, (Todd Skaine, Woodbury, MN, ABDX via DXLD)

Yes, those are quite a bit at variance with the Pattern Book maps. On 670, I mixed up the day and night lobes, so it`s the night one to the WSW and with only 1400 watts, I can`t say I`ve ever heard KLTT at night vs WSCR, KHGZ, and CMBAs (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 750, Aug 25 at 0531 UT, KAMA El Paso TX is *still* owning the channel, with Spanish talk from Univisión América, totally blotting out any WSB; presumably not only non-direxional, but 10 kW day power illegally (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1736, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Tnx to Bruce Conti who did further research on my Radio Fórmula unID on 840 which could have been American or Mexican. Seems at both 0544 and 1057 UT Aug 21, it was my suspected KVJY Pharr TX with another format change which had gone unnoticed elsewhere:

``Looks like KVJY carries R. Fórmula programming per their website
http://informativorg.com/programacion/
which also displays the "noticias, deportes, entretenimiento" slogan.

Here's an old report from when KVJY changed format in 2011
http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?631451-ANOTHER-FLIP-FOR-KVJY-840-AM-%28Currently-FOX-Sports%29 (Bruce Conti, NH, mwdx yg via DXLD)`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1736, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, Aug 26 at 0131 UT, piano hymn into organ music, good with KOA nulled, and DFing for The Metroplex, so no doubt KJON Carrollton TX, Guadalupe Radio Network (Catholic) on the facility hijacked from Anadarko OK without even changing the call letters. Is this after LSS in August? I`ll have to check FCC AM Query when Internet comes back (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) {Yes, sunset at 0115 UT in Aug, 0030 in Sept, so cheating, and no PSSA}

** U S A. 1010-, Aug 23 at 0139 UT, big het on low side loops east-west; keyboard not handy, but estimated pitch a little below Middle C. Something new, and already IDed a sesquihour earlier tnx to tip from Brandon Jordan near Memphis:

``1009.772, WHIN, Gallatin, TN, 23 Aug 0010 - WHIN with a significant offset with Beech Buccaneers vs Station Camp Bison's high school football, local spots. Fair in LSB but causing a major het on 1010 kHz. 73, Brandon Jordan, Fayette County, TN``

That makes 228 Hz off any 1010.000 stations, or between A and B-flat below Cm. I really can`t isolate its modulation among the QRM, but something sounds like a baseball game, and also a preacher, probably KXEN. Then I am also hearing:

1010, Aug 23 at 0143 UT, mention of Colorado and area code 719 --- presumably KSIR in Brush (Fort Morgan) (former WORLD OF RADIO affiliate), still on 25 kW day power until 0200 UT in Aug (0100 UT in Sept), pattern a tight figure-8 slightly CCW from east-west, so some but not much signal hereward. It`s in AC 970, but close to 719 which encompasses more than the SE quadrant of spherical rectangle CO (except for a bit of jog along the Utah border, bad surveying?) (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1736, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Aug 28 at 0507 UT, open carrier/dead air from KIJN Farwell TX on the NM border, making usual fast SAH with on-frequency stations. Same at 1052 UT recheck. So KIJN thinx it`s more compliant with its daytime-only license, no longer modulating all-night? Not good enough (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1310, Aug 28 at 0525 UT, promo/ad for a local event in Madisonville, Hopkins County, area code 270- --- Therefore it is WTTL in western Kentucky, 1500/500 watts U2, dominating frequency at the moment. Night pattern major lobe is SSW, with a null toward us, so may have been on ND day pattern (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Aug 22 at 0545 UT, KXTD OK remains compliant with daytime-only license for now, after at least six nights of 24-houring, reaudiblizing a perennial cheater, KCMN Colorado Springs supposed to be 15 watts at night instead of 15,000 day power; a break in music for CS and Pueblo weather forecast on ``I-25 Radio``; now it`s the dominant signal, better than BS on WCKY or KLBW in TX if it`s still cheatin` too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1590, Aug 23 at 0129 UT, lucky catch just as I tune across, ``right here on KELP``, and then singing ID. 5 kW day pattern from El Paso TX is very favorable for us with broad lobe centered northeast. Its day ends at 0145 UT in Aug (0115 UT in Sept). Last year`s NRC AM Log shows religious format, partly in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1630, Aug 22 at 0122 UT, uptempo banda music loops NW/SE, 0123 UT DJ in Spanish, 0130 UT ID mentions 1630 but can`t make out the slogan, presumably still La Jota instead of Gran-D, the only SS around here, KRND in Fox Farm WY [Cheyenne]. Somewhat separable from KKGM The Metroplex, not exactly in opposite direxion, with praise music in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Aug 23 at 0549 UT, Coast to Coast AM affiliate // countless others, audible with WKY OKC nulled. Searching 930 at http://www.coasttocoastam.com/stations
goes to NY, SD, MD, KY, IL and WY. Of those, most likely would be WTAD in Quincy IL as logged a number of times here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1510-, Aug 23 at 0132 UT, Mexican music vs WLAC, making low rumble SAH, very slightly on the lo side. 0133 UT, SHVA (super-hype voice actor) in what sounds like a full ID with slogans, but too much QRM and fade to make anything out. Rough DF for it maybe NE/SW, and best with WLAC nulled, which means aiming N/S.

So what is it not? KNNS in Larned KS which flipped off Spanish in March. Last year`s NRC AM Log shows three of the 1510 Texans in Spanish, but as daytimers should be off by 0100 or 0115 UT in August per FCC AM Query (admittedly an often unwarranted assumption).

IRCA Mexican Log shows a good possibility, a new radio station I was unaware of, XEQI, La Nueva Radio in Monterrey NL, listed as 50 kW day power, cutting to 250 watts at night. Need to keep after this one! BTW, no higher het, lower below 1510 at this time from KCTE, Independence MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1736, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---