Re: [IRCA] Supercharging the ICF-2010 SSB Receiver

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Guy,

<<<   You give some very good cautions about purchasing these oldies but
goodies-- the Sony ICF-2010.   >>>

Thanks for your comments, Guy. Those cautions were mainly directed at non-technical hobbyists who would be completely out of luck if they purchased an ICF-2010 with existing issues. VERY few of the current AM-DXing enthusiasts seem to have the ability to troubleshoot and correct electronic issues-- in fact, some of them seem pretty intimidated at the idea of taking the back cover off of their ICF-2010 to observe the circuitry.

<<<   On the flip side though, sellers unfamiliar with the 2010s can also be the
source of great bargains on Ebay! Because they are unaware of proper
operation or common, easily fixed problems with the receiver, some of these
fine radios go for far less than their real value. At least three of the
2010s that I've owned were bought at a low price because the reseller
didn't know to install the memories backup batteries before powering on the
set, or they weren't aware of the simple-to-fix battery contact connection
issues. I was also given a fine condition 2010 that simply needed a
cleaning of the keypad's rubber membrane contact surfaces to become
operational again.   >>>

Yes, there are certainly bargains to be had on eBay for technically skilled purchasers who are familiar with the ICF-2010's common quirks. I myself have purchased 3 models from sellers who mentioned "Error 3" on the display, and easily repaired all 3 of them. Unfortunately this isn't an option for most of the current AM-DXing hobbyists, who not only lack technical skill but who often have eyesight or hand coordination issues.

<<<   So, for the same reasons a claimed fully functioning ICF-2010 might not be
accurately represented, a broken or dead ICF-2010 might not be what it
seems, either.   >>>

This is definitely true, but the main risk for non-technical hobbyists is receiving an ICF-2010 that requires professional repair in order to function properly. This would be a deal-breaker for the modification article, and a financial disaster for someone who has just paid between $150-$300.

Because of this, I'm still kind of "on the fence" about whether to target the modification article to non-technical hobbyists in a "Heathkit-like" format (such as last year's PL-380 "Supercharging" article) or whether to write the article for technically-skilled hobbyists who simply need some new ICF-2010 loopstick design information (i.e. construction and performance data on a longer, more sensitive antenna for LW and MW). My general impression at this point is that very few non-technical hobbyists would have the confidence or ability to successfully complete an ICF-2010 modification project of this type, which requires a significant amount of $$, some close-order soldering and other detailed work. There is no sense in directing the article at non-technical hobbyists when almost none of them would consider "taking the plunge."

73, Gary DeBock (across town in Puyallup, WA)

You give some very good cautions about purchasing these oldies but
goodies-- the Sony ICF-2010.

On the flip side though, sellers unfamiliar with the 2010s can also be the
source of great bargains on Ebay! Because they are unaware of proper
operation or common, easily fixed problems with the receiver, some of these
fine radios go for far less than their real value. At least three of the
2010s that I've owned were bought at a low price because the reseller
didn't know to install the memories backup batteries before powering on the
set, or they weren't aware of the simple-to-fix battery contact connection
issues. I was also given a fine condition 2010 that simply needed a
cleaning of the keypad's rubber membrane contact surfaces to become
operational again.

I bought my current 2010 for the princely "Buy It Now" sum of $9.00 and
free shipping ("Doesn't work... I want it outta here" said the Ebay
seller). In less than 15 minutes after arrival I had the battery contact
issue fixed and was listening to RNZI with the radio. This one is in
excellent physical condition, too. A few months later, the previous owner
unexpectedly sent me the original Sony AC adapter, the Sony carrying strap
for the 2010, and the Sony 2010 long wire antenna. He had located the items
at home and wanted to send them along. It was harder to convince him to
accept reimbursement for shipping costs of the accessories than it was to
fix the radio :^)

So, for the same reasons a claimed fully functioning ICF-2010 might not be
accurately represented, a broken or dead ICF-2010 might not be what it
seems, either.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

PS-- I'm looking forward to your revised Supercharged 2010 article, Gary!

> From: d1028gary@xxxxxxx
> To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ultralightdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 03:12:43 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Supercharging the ICF-2010 SSB Receiver
>
> Hello All,
>
> For those who are interested, a major update of the May 2008 article
> (posted at
> http://www.mediafire.com/view/404c61oxxbd992n/SuperchargingtheICF2010LargeComplete.doc
> , to greatly increase the MW and LW band sensitivity of the classic Sony
> ICF-2010 SSB receiver) is in the works. The updated article should be
> completed during the Fall season, and will provide specific instructions
> for transplanting and securing a much more sensitive loopstick into the
> Sony portable's circuitry. The new loopstick will be based upon recent Litz
> wire improvements.
>
> The ICF-2010 SSB receiver is an ideal portable for tracking transoceanic
> DX station carriers during Ultralight radio ocean coast DXpeditions,
> although its relatively deaf stock loopstick has nowhere near the
> sensitivity of modern FSL antennas. Performing the loopstick transplant
> will correct this deficiency, and enable the ICF-2010 to accurately track
> weak SSB carriers that are easily within the reception capability of the
> new FSL's. After four major DXpeditions using a stock ICF-2010, I finally
> got tired of the stock model's failure to show even a weak carrier on DU
> stations that managed good audio with the new FSL's. Of course, even if an
> ICF-2010 owner has no interest in Ultralight radios or DXpeditions, the
> loopstick transplant will still boost the MW and LW sensitivity of the
> model, providing a great increase in DXing satisfaction.
>
> For those who are interested in purchasing an ICF-2010 for this purpose,
> care should be taken to obtain a fully functional model. None of these
> radios were manufactured recently, and many eBay sellers are not DXers or
> radio enthusiasts, but simply ordinary people trying to sell something that
> they accidentally came across. Carefully check the feedback of any eBay
> seller before purchasing, and make sure that they are knowledgeable about
> the ICF-2010 and its functions before trusting any claim of perfect
> performance.
>
> 73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

editors, publishing staff, or officers

--- End Message ---