Re: [IRCA] QRM from Lights

--- Begin Message ---
Our neighbor decided to install a dimmer in their hallway so they could have a dim night light. Turns out the noise caused by that dimmer made it's way into our house via the common transformer on the pole between our houses.

I talked to someone at City Light and they told me that I should get a certain brand (can't remember which - but it was many years ago so it's probably not made anymore). They mentioned that this brand was "made in Canada where they have more restrictions on RFI emissions". This I did and replaced their dimmer and the noise was gone.

Thus indicating that the regulations controlling emissions is the factor for producing an item. Since it costs more to include emission suppression, it is clear that unless the regulations "force" manufacturers to add it, they won't.

Now that the lights themselves are causing problems, the situation becomes more of a necessity. I have also experienced loud buzzing from a fish tank heater (the fellow moved so it's not a problem anymore) and I never found a solution (so I'm glad he moved, hi.)

So they key is for us to figure out which devices have better RFI suppression... and it wouldn't hurt to have a reference for DXers to know what to get. We can start by providing feedback to our eGroup on what works and what doesn't.

Let us know what works and what doesn't or any research that you've done. I will start to compile the results.

Phil Bytheway

IRCA President / Goodie Factory
Seattle WA
Drake R-7 / KIWA Loop