[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 25-May 1, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 25-May 1, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page22

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

Last week my single post showed up more than once on some lists. I don`t know why, and I am not doing it!

** OKLAHOMA. 1140, May 1 at 0134 UT, station with 405 area code, and promo for Perry Broadcasting, which mean`s it`s certainly KRMP OKC, a daytimer. Official FCC sunset for April, still in effect for this zone is 0100 UT; in May it will only be 0130 UT; June & July the latest at 0145 UT. So they are cheating --- but wait, they do have a PSSA:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=3279
of 6 watts yearound, but this is no 6 watts, more like full daytime power of 1 kW ND, for an extra bihour, until 0300 UT in April, 0330 UT in May, 0345 UT in June & July --- but what good is 6 watts vs 50 kW XEMR Monterrey, which is presumably the one already QRMing it here with 1 kW, and making a SAH of 78/minute = 1.3 Hz? (XEG is in on 1050). (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Sunday April 27 at 1228 UT, KZLS again with `Cowboy Corner`, and same topic but not synchronized, on rival 960 KWGA, both Enid. But at 1230 UT, KZLS breaks in for a couple minutes of ``news`` from Blaze Radio, then cuts back to C.C. still in progress, how ragged, while KGWA stays with it.

Here`s the affiliate list for ``Red Steagall`s Cowboy Corner``:
http://www.cowboycorner.com/stations.html
where OK is second only to TX (by far) in number of affiliates. Red doesn`t know that his OKC affiliate, KNAH 99.7 means he`s also on its sibling station KZLS 1640; meanwhile the Enid ones listed are not only KGWA 960 (also for ``northern OKC``, ha2) but its own sibling, KOFM 103.1 in Enid (which is blocked in OKC by the KOKC translator). Both are too lazy to program separately on sleepy Sunday morning ghettos/ghettoes [depending on your spell-checker].

KBXD 1480 Dallas is also on there correctly for 24 hours earlier on Saturday mornings, as heard yesterday.

Red often mentions the Cowboy museum in OKC as one of his sponsors, and is about to make an appearance there. BTW, this C.C. has nothing to do with some business near Sixth & Duck in Stillwater OK, despite what Google may ``think``: its web prefaces with ``the``; nor one in northern Arizona, -az (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===============

** U S A. 570, April 25 at 0553 UT, ``southern New Mexico`s only source for legends, Classic Country 5-70``, i.e. revived call KGRT Las Cruces (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, KCKM Monahans TX DX test UT March 22: I posted a general summary of the log at the time, but now with QSLs going out (tho none received here yet), here`s a more detailed summary, and my recording of the complete test, 35 minutes:
http://www.w4uvh.net/KCKMDXtest.mp3

0500, ``You`re listening to the west Texas powerhouse, KCKM``, sung ID and a song, no DX yet.

0503, KNSS Wichita ID can be heard; fast SAH thruout, but KCKM generally atop on the DX-398 aimed at Monahans.

0504, sweep tones, 0504.5 phone-off-the-hook signal (POTH), more sweeps

0504:40, Morse code ID (after picking out call KCKM, I haven`t taken the time to copy every letter now or later, but during the test itself, these were the *only* IDs, never any by voice.)

0506, POTH, siren & bells - fire alarm sound effects

0507, code briefly, music

0510.5, sweeps, code KCKM, ``On the Radio`` jingle, POTH

0511.5, fire alarm & siren

0513.5, code KCKM

0514, sweeps, 0514.5 POTH, more sweeps --- these are always from low pitch to high repeating every few seconds --- really stand out and a favorite technique for DX tests to cut thru the QRM

0515, code, sweeps

0517, POTH, fire alarm, code

0518, music, TV theme? [later identified as `Price is Right`, not something I watch]

0520, fade down during music

0520.5, back up with sweeps, code KCKM DX

0524, code, sweeps, POTH, sweeps

0525, code, sweeps, POTH, fire alarm, code

0528, music, same theme? Fading down past 0530, more sweeps

0531, singing ID? Code, ``On the Radio`` jingle, POTH, fire alarm

0532, code for last time

0533, test is over, voice ID as 30 minutes ago, fade but now due to resuming night power from 12 kW during test; song ``West Virginia``.

Then at 1531 UT April 25 I get a reply to my follow-up: ``QSL is Coming --- Glenn, I have no idea how you fell through the cracks but the mp3 file definitely confirms reception of KCKM 1330 during our DX test. Watch your mail box! Bob Souza, Managing Partner, KCKM1330 – 12,000 Watts, P.O. Box 990 – 1200 S. Stockton, Monahans, TX 79756``

I had also asked him about the status of former sibling station KCKN 1020 in Roswell NM, Are they still on STA of very reduced power; is there any prospect of getting back to full 50 kW? And he says,
``Roswell is supposed to be rebuilding their old tube transmitter, a continental 317. They are modulating at a low level so that makes it worse`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, April 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, KCKM Monahans TX: QSL received in the p-mail today April 28 for the March 22 DX test after follow-up. Same one others have reported with the oil rig gizmos. V/s Bob Souza also enclosed bumper sticker, and business card. Since my name does not appear on the QSL, we`ve also scanned the envelope with my name and address:
http://www.w4uvh.net/KCKMenv.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/KCKMQSL.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/KCKMBS.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/KCKMbizcd.jpg
and added to my QSL Gallery:
http://www.worldofradio.com/QSL.html
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, April 25 at 1247 UT, open carrier/dead air from N/S bearing, no doubt 50 kW KTNO University Park (The Metroplex) TX, supposed to be Spanish religion as Radio Luz. Recheck at 1319 UT, still no modulation from KTNO, fading out around 1329 UT.

1440, April 25 at 1247 UT, KMAJ Topeka KS can be heard easily thru the KTNO OC, with concert promos, 1440kmaj.com  The two make a 2.4 Hz SAH = 144/minute, but it seems to be varying slightly at 1319 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, April 30 at 0602 UT, amid heavy CCI, Spanish ID as ``La Pantera, 14-40``. It`s no Mexican, but KTUV, Little Rock AR, which I previously heard but without this slogan, December 31 during the same hour as in DXLD 14-01; 240 watts night power, E-W (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, Saturday April 26 at 1245 UT, ``El Paso`` by Marty Robbins from N/S, during `Cowboy Corner` syndicated show, so is it Wichita or Dallas? 1252 UT ad for Texas Rangers, so there`s our answer, KBXD Dallas, not 100% politico-religious despite carrying Rick Wiles and Brother Scare (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1660, April 27 at 1227 UT, outro for a feature from the ``K-State Radio Network``, which means it must be KWOD Kansas City. I`ve yet to catch the new legal ID for the former KUDL, which has been in effect since April 7; presumably still biz/Bloomberg format as an alternate program from ``KMBZ`` [980]. FCC AM Query callsign history:
KWOD 	 04/07/2014
KUDL 	 03/31/2011
KXTR 	 02/12/2007 [the KXTR eras were classical, ex-FM, both lamented]
WDAF 	 01/19/2007 [?! For less than a month parked here]
KXTR 	 06/06/2001
KWSJ 	 08/17/2000
KBJC 	 08/10/1998

As for the K-State Radio Network, that`s the remnant of 580 KKSU and before that KSAC, Manhattan, which sold out the frequency to WIBW, but remains a presumably free public service program source picked up by many Kansas commercial stations. See http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/

``History --- The K-State Radio Network is a service which originated with public radio station KKSU-AM, which left the air November 27, 2002, after nearly 78 years of broadcasting. Links

Listen to the live stream (M-F, 10a-11a CT) Flash
Streaming Archives
       Agriculture Today
       Kansas Profile
       Milk Lines
       Outbound Kansas
       Perspective
       Sound Living
       Tree Tales
       Weather Wonders
       Wheat Scoop
Affiliates
Weekly Features``

>From Affiliates, http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/News/p.aspx?tabid=61
there`s a grid showing stations carrying three of the programs and ``features`` in general, but precious few actual times, and WTFK??

KUDL is still on the list (not KWOD) for `Sound Living`, Sundays at 6:30-7:30 am CDT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, April 24 at 1044 UT, classic rock, but apparently merely a music break during `Fox Sports Daybreak` from ``Your new home for Fox Sports in The Valley``, i.e. KVNS Brownsville TX. Then plug Fox Sports One – a TV channel? But where is the Tejano music from KKLF The Metropolex at half the distance? Off again? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) But KKLF again heard since

--- End Message ---