Re: [IRCA] Slightly off topic moral story about radios...

Re: [IRCA] Slightly off topic moral story about radios...

> Hi Colin,

Hey, I feel your pain about the Toshiba! Good luck with the antenna repair
or replacement.

When I read your mention of the Eton E1 it reminded me of the BHI Ltd.
noise reduction accessory I added to my own E1XM.

I can't remember if I've shared my DIY instructions before on the IRCA
reflector, so for you and others who are fans of the E1 like myself, here
is how you can significantly improve the reception quality of signals by
adding the top-notch noise reduction feature from BHI Ltd. out of the UK:

https://app.box.com/s/wl8wli89tchgyh64iiu8   This folder has my PDF with
the mod details, plus a couple of comparison sound files (with and without
NR enabled).

Colin, with your radio fix-up abilities I know you can handle this
modification just fine. I found it well worth the effort and reasonable
cost.

Here's more details, copied from my message in the Eton E1 Yahoogroup:

*I've just uploaded a PDF to the files section titled "BHI Ltd
NR_Eton_E1XM.pdf". This illustrates how I've installed the excellent BHI
Ltd. (UK)  NEDSP-1061-KBD module in my Eton E1XM.*

*This particular BHI product is designed for low level audio, and is
inserted between the detector and main audio amp circuitry in receivers and
transceivers. Other BHI devices are for external use between your radio and
an external speaker, or contain a speaker and the noise reduction device in
one enclosure. Note that GAP Antennas in the USA sells the "HEAR-IT"
products which are rebranded/repackaged BHI Ltd. models.*

*The NEDSP-1061-KBD is currently $139 USD from http://www.w4rt.com/
<http://www.w4rt.com/> , or directly from BHI Ltd. at
<https://bhi-ltd-shop.com/>
<https://bhi-ltd-shop.com/shop/article_A-NEDSP1061-KBD/NEDSP1061-KBD.html?sessid=1k0WyMQSHqdCPJTwmMDHxS7cIOnAf97Cjc8ARyLNUMEzLi2HXl9k0jwrU5OPOxaF&shop_param=cid%3D15%26aid%3DA-NEDSP1061-KBD%26>https://bhi-ltd-shop.com
<https://bhi-ltd-shop.com/> , with a special price of 99.95 UK Pounds (VAT
included).*

*The primary benefit of the NEDSP-1061-KBD over the external devices is
that the unit is fully self-contained and works with the E1XM's own speaker
or your headphones... no wiring or extra boxes to carry around.*

*Although a full schematic of the E1XM is not available, a careful reading
of the partial service manual (in the files section) revealed where I could
splice into the radio's "dual mono" low level audio path, and where to tap
into a source of DC voltage that is available after the radio's turned on
(so that the radio batteries won't be drained by the NR module's constant
current draw of 25ma).*

*This noise reduction accessory is highly recommended, and was well worth
the effort for me to install it inside my receiver. This is now the 2nd
radio I've added the NEDSP-1061-KBD to, and it probably won't be the last!*

 73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA