Re: [IRCA] Another WWXL 1450 DX test

On 03/16/2014 02:50 PM, Walter Salmaniw wrote:
It's easy to hear sweeps.  I often wonder whether they are ionosones.  We
sure see them frequently on the Perseus waterfall on SW.

An interesting thought, Walt. I believe swept-frequency ionosondes (aka chirpsounders) typically don't go below 2 MHz, but no doubt there are exceptions. If you did hear one zip through an AM broadcast channel (and I think I've heard a few myself), it would be a single, isolated sweep, and it wouldn't be repeated for at least 15 minutes or so. In contrast, if sweeps are used as part of a DX test, they should be repeated quite rapidly, and the difference should be quite obvious to the ear.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  Ottawa, ON