Re: [IRCA] CQ Communications & The idea of merging NRC/IRCA

Re: [IRCA] CQ Communications & The idea of merging NRC/IRCA

As one who was there at the time, I see no point to rehashing the issues beyond what Mike has already said.
>From my perspective, the same differences which caused the split in 1963 continue to be reflected today on
each side, primarily in terms of how the clubs operate and what drives that.

While all of the reasoning Les has provided is solid, as we see all over our world today, people and organizations
are often driven by long-held philosophies which don't go away easily. Those exist and haven't really changed a
whole lot.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>

 Subject: Re: [IRCA] CQ Communications & The idea of merging NRC/IRCA
 To: "Mike Sanburn" <mikesanburn@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "am@xxxxxxxxxxx" <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Thursday, March 13, 2014, 2:06 PM

 I think the logic is pretty
 self-evident, unless someone is too close to the forest to
 see the trees. Both clubs serve a niche hobby audience, with
 declining memberships. Very few young people listen to AM
 radio at all...much less are interested in DXing it. That
 means that our membership is aging, dying, and otherwise
 shrinking. While at one time there might have been
 sufficient numbers to sustain both clubs, it's doubtful that
 can continue for much longer.

 While I've been a member of one or both clubs for well over
 two decades, I really have no idea what caused the split to
 begin with. Even less of idea of what could possibly be
 worthwhile enough to keep the groups apart today. I also
 disagree with Mike (who I respect a lot) that the two clubs
 have distinct personalities. If that's true, it's not
 reflected in their publications or their e-mail discussion
 forums. What I do see is a lot of duplication of information
 and the same names, largely.

 It's hardly a "corporate merger". The annual budget of both
 clubs wouldn't pay for my company's digital media storage.
 Let's be honest about who we are, the state of our hobby,
 and start taking a hard look at what makes sense going
 forward.

 Grown men shouldn't bear grudges for half a century. The
 only benefit to growing older is that wisdom sometimes comes
 with age. I've learned that forgiveness is one gift that
 benefits the giver even more than the receiver. How many
 people actively pursue MW DXing as a hobby these days? 300,
 500, maybe a thousand? Hard to see how a group that small
 can sustain two national clubs forever.

 Mike is correct that the discussion about this topic comes
 up every few years. What is never articulated in those
 discussions is pretty simple:

 1.) What were the issues that caused the original split?

 2.) Are those issues still relevant?

 Or look at it another way. If someone was starting national
 clubs for a niche hobby today, would they logically try to
 create two clubs or would they judge that one was
 sufficient? Either way, I respect the opinions of those who
 disagree. I'd just really like to see those questions
 answered, in a civil manner. The last thing we need to do
 now is reopen an old wound.

 73,

 Les Rayburn, N1LF
 Proud member of both the NRC and IRCA.

 On 3/13/2014 12:51 PM, Mike Sanburn wrote:
 > I'm not really sure by what logic that " it is long
 past time for the N.R.C. and the I.R.C.A. to merge ". While
 both are fine clubs in their own way, each has its own
 distinct personality. While it was sad to say goodbye to the
 printed DX Monitor, the I.R.C.A. is still a viable club with
 much to offer its members. Yes there are areas that we can
 have friendly interaction with other BCB DX clubs such as a
 common test committee chairman or even occasional dual
 conventions in the future, I see no great benefit in the two
 clubs merging at the present time. This topic seems to come
 up every few years. I for one would vote against a merger
 unless there was a massive push FOR it within our club, and
 I haven't really seen that. Folks are always welcome to
 belong to both clubs concurrently. Subscription rate for
 SDXM is only $10 worldwide for a year. That's a great
 bargain. As I say, both are terrific clubs with a rich
 history. In the corporate world we've seen many mergers in
 recent decades and usually they lead to higher prices, less
 competition and creativity, job losses, etc....

 > Mike Sanburn   KG6LJU
 >
 > > Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:14:54 -0500
 > > From: les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > > To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > > Subject: [IRCA] CQ Communications & The idea
 of merging NRC/IRCA

 > > Discussions over the past few days regarding the
 demise of print media
 > > in niche hobby markets, along with decisions to go
 "all digital" by
 > > organizations like the WTFDA, have also
 > > rekindled interest in the idea that it is long
 past time for the
 > > National Radio Club and the International Radio
 Club of America to merge.

 > > Whatever happened in 1961 (a year before I was
 born) is ancient
 > > history--and I suspect has little or no bearing on
 how the organizations
 > > function today. With a shrinking pool of
 hobbyists, it only makes sense
 > > for the two clubs to strongly consider pooling
 their resources.

 > > For years, I served as the CPC Chairman for both
 clubs. During my
 > > tenure, representing both clubs was never an
 issue. Many of us have been
 > > members in both clubs for a long time, and I don't
 really detect any
 > > differences in how they approach the role.
 > >
 > > My personal request to the BoD of both clubs would
 be to explore and
 > > strongly consider the advantages of merging into a
 single club. Pooling
 > > resources, and better position our hobby for
 long-term survival.

 > > --
 > > 73,
 > >

 > > Les Rayburn, N1LF
 > > Maylene, AL
 > > EM63
 > >
 > > Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
 > > Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA
 > >
 > > Perseus SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke
 ALA-1530+ loop, LF
 > > Engineering Active Whips,
 > > Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW
 Pre-Selector

 > > Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing
 list are those of the original contributors and do not
 necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors,
 publishing staff, or officers