<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>

 I was a very active DXer when the
 NRC/IRCA split occurred, knew quite a few of the people on
 both sides quite well and, in general, (50 years is a long
 time ago) remember the reasons for the split.  The
 split, itself, was extremely acrimonious and has caused many
 hard feelings on both sides for many years.  I suspect
 there's still a very strong difference of opinion about the
 Club's structures that would inhibit any thought of a
 merge.  As a side note, the joint convention in
 Minneapolis last year was a start for reconciliation.
 The joint convention idea was met with positive feelings
 from attendees from both clubs and hope was expressed that
 such joint conventions would continue.  Evidently, for
 some reason, the joint convention concept fell by the
 wayside this year, which is too bad and which doesn't auger
 well.  It will be interesting to see what happens but
 I'm not holding my breath. - John

 On Mar 13, 2014, at 12:14 PM, Les Rayburn wrote:

 > Discussions over the past few days regarding the demise
 of print media in niche hobby markets, along with decisions
 to go "all digital" by organizations like the WTFDA, have
 also
 > rekindled interest in the idea that it is long past
 time for the National Radio Club and the International Radio
 Club of America to merge.

 > Whatever happened in 1961 (a year before I was born) is
 ancient history--and I suspect has little or no bearing on
 how the organizations function today. With a shrinking pool
 of hobbyists, it only makes sense for the two clubs to
 strongly consider pooling their resources.

 > For years, I served as the CPC Chairman for both clubs.
 During my tenure, representing both clubs was never an
 issue. Many of us have been members in both clubs for a long
 time, and I don't really detect any differences in how they
 approach the role.

 > My personal request to the BoD of both clubs would be
 to explore and strongly consider the advantages of merging
 into a single club. Pooling resources, and better position
 our hobby for long-term survival.

 > --
 > 73,
 >

 > Les Rayburn, N1LF
 > Maylene, AL
 > EM63
 >
 > Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
 > Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA
 >
 > Perseus SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+
 loop, LF Engineering Active Whips,
 > Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector

 those of the original contributors and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing
 staff, or officers