[IRCA] Why Radio Heritage Needs Donations

[IRCA] Why Radio Heritage Needs Donations

February 6 2014

Hello

You're on one of our mailing lists for a variety of reasons, they've
built up over time as people contact us, use our radio guides etc.
You're on this specific list because you've been receiving mailings
from us since 2007. Thanks for staying with us on the journey.

We're often asked why do we need to ask for donations all the time,
so here's a simple FAQ

1. What is the Radio Heritage Foundation?
   We're a registered charitable trust, which is like a non-profit
2. When did it start?
   We've been online since 2004
3. What do you need money for?
   Operating costs include office and storage space, utilities,
communications expenses like phone, phone calls, internet connections
etc, computers, scanner, printer, cameras, stationery and consumables
like paper and ink, storage albums and boxes for memorabilia,
shelving for files, books and magazines for our reference library,
insurance, local taxes...all the sorts of things we have to buy from
others so we can function
4. So you must get money from bequests, grants from the government,
money from big radio networks, advertisers etc?
   No
5. Well, why not?
   We keep asking, but because we're independent and cover global
radio heritage, individual governments only like to fund state
related agencies for stuff only related to that one country,
advertisers say we're too small and can't give much if anything in
return, and no-one has left us any money in their will
6  What about all the Amazon advertising links? You must make lots of
money from them?
   No, about $100 in commission every 18 months
7. Do you pay staff or your board members?
   No, everyone is a volunteer. Volunteers are all unpaid.
8. Do you have an annual report, financial report?
   Yes, we have to lodge a financial report with our government
regulator every 12 months. It's totally transparent.
9. Can we see these reports?
   Of course, there's a link at the foot of every page taking you to
our regulator website, and you can see our reports for the past 3 or
4 years there. They also tell you about other impacts on our
operations like the New Zealand earthquakes in 2010/2011 which
resulted in a complete drying up of local donations as funds went for
earthquake relief. During this time, the Radio Heritage Foundation
organized a mobile emergency radio station for the worst hit area at
a considerable financial loss.
10.How much do you need?
   A$450 every week. This is a fixed amount for 5 years and is based
on our actual expenses from 10 years of operation. That's A$23,400
every year.
11.How much do you actually get and who from?
   We get about 65% of this amount from people who make donations at
our website. That means we run at a loss of about A$8,190 each year.
Some of our board members have been paying these losses for the full
10 years out of their own pockets. That's on top of volunteering
thousands of hours for free. There is a limit to which they can keep
doing this. The limit has been reached.

So, that's why we keep asking for donations. We exist hand to mouth
every month. The whole project really is supported by donors all over
the world. We'd like to offer things like T-shirts, caps, CD's, books
etc as incentives for people to donate, but we don't have the funds
to buy them, and even if they're donated, we don't have the funds to
ship them all over the world.

Right now, we're already about A$1,800 behind for January 2014 and
almost a quarter of the way through February. If you can make a
donation today via the paypal button at www.radioheritage.net, it
will help towards paying for our overhead costs, and you'll be
certain that we can continue doing what we can to collect, protect
and share radio memories.

* hundreds of quality radio features
* hundreds of rare photos and images
* online radio guides
* protecting/storing thousands of pieces of radio memorabilia
* storing many hours of radio audio
* researching radio memories
* collecting radio station data
* free online access worldwide

Thanks for your time today.

Radio Heritage Foundation
Global Radio Memories Project
Connecting today's people with yesterdays radio
Email code PW7 to be removed from this mailing list. Allow 15 working
days for a volunteer to remove your address.