Re: [IRCA] Elad FDM S1 + Miscellaneous Mumblings

Re: [IRCA] Elad FDM S1 + Miscellaneous Mumblings

Actually, Chuck, I worked quite a lot with Bob when I was doing the MW signal strength recorder article for QEX, yet he never mentioned regression analysis as a possible way of making sense of my signal strength measurements vs. any number of solar/geomagnetic parameters. There is no argument that he would have been extremely familiar with it, hence my later assumption that he didn't think there was much to be gained by using it on this particular data set. He certainly pushed me in other directions such as spherical geometry and ionospheric chemistry that made my not particularly mathematical head hurt from time to time. Although I believe he tried to make a point of not larding his propagation articles with mathematics, I don't think he had any qualms about stretching the brains of interested individuals, so, as you describe it, "standard stuff" such as regression analysis would have been suggested if he thought there was merit in it.

Have you yourself ever tried to derive relationships between any of the parameters Michael mentioned and signal strength levels or times of peak signals? It would likely be easiest to start with local sunrise times vs. time of peak signal strength during sunrise / dawn enhancement, though I suspect most of us would be happy to continue with our rules of thumb about that, but even then, there are further variables. DU's can deliver post-sunrise reception on the coast in summer, but generally not inland for example, and that doesn't seem entirely due to lower signal levels inland.

And, thanks for mentioning the linear regression capabilities of Excel. The few times I've attempted to use it, a simple slope and offset gave as good a correlation as anything higher level, but it's good to be reminded that it is there.

best wishes,

Nick