Re: [IRCA] Timed Recordings using the SDR-IQ Receiver

Re: [IRCA] Timed Recordings using the SDR-IQ Receiver

I also poised this question on the SDR-IQ Yahoo Group, and got an interesting response from Craig, N6IO. He recommended the use of HDSDR software. See his remarks from that list below. I have not personally tried HDSDR, but will download it and play around. I don't wish to record a lot during the day, that would only waste hard drive space--and be more difficult to manage.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

The timer function it has allows you to start recording at any time, for a
selected number of minutes and to repeat at a selected number of minutes.
So you could start at a set time, record for 5 minutes, then repeat every
hour.

The downside is that it appears it would repeat forever. You can set up a
non-repeating recording, but it looks like you can only set up 5 of these.
Maybe others know more tricks.

HDSDR is also a good choice - and it looks like you can set up 10 or 20 or
more recordings, and have them repeat daily. So you would just get the
times you want.

You could have every other hour record a different spectrum - if you wanted
to cover more than 19 or 20 channels per night, but only every other hour
for a particular band segment. Or set up schedules that shift up 200khz
per day and cover the whole band in a week or so.

So HDSDR is more flexible as far as setting up specific times, but
SperctraVue would be easier to set up if you are OK with having it record
more than just the timeframe you mentioned, or manually stopping it. If
you have a lot of disk space it wouldn't be a problem that it records
during the day too.

I think you should allow more than 3 minutes on the hour - I think the FCC
recommends stations ID within 3 minutes but the requirement is flexible
depending on the kind of content the station is transmitting. For some
content they recommend within 5 minutes, but even that is not a hard
requirement. You might want to record +-5 minutes but you know your disk
space limits.

Are you aware of the "mwoffsets" google group? They have data about the
carrier offset for many stations which can help in identifying one out of a
crowd. In some cases you can pretty much ID the station without ever
listening to audio. I use SpecLab to view carriers down to a small
fraction of a Hz. It's kind of cool to see 20 or more carriers at once.

Craig - N6IO