Re: [IRCA] Wifi Router (OT)

Hi Patrick-

I use this (now discontinued) GDI-IR1000 model:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606504-REG/Grace_Digital_GDI_IR1000_Wireless_Internet_Radio_GDI_IR1000.html

It's still available for less than $100, but so are some newer models like
the GDI-IR2600.

I see from the BH Photo-Video link above that my model now has Pandora
streaming, so I guess it's time I do another firmware update for the radio!
The 2600 model (and I presume other newer ones) have added iHeart Radio to
the choices of audio sources.

The question comes up occasionally: why buy a separate box for streaming
Internet audio when you can just listen on your computer or mobile phone?
Well, I do use my computers and mobile phone for Internet audio, but
there's something satisfying about a stand-alone device that seems more
like "a real radio". I like the Grace Digital's large knob used for making
selections (turning of the knob) and confirming choices (press-click
inwards on the knob). The Grace Digital models all have quite decent
built-in speakers so they are fully self-contained.

The station choices through the Reciva database alone are vast, and are the
only way to still hear some broadcasters that have left shortwave and/or
medium wave, or are difficult or impossible catches on MW. For instance,
one of my favorites on Internet radio is Radio Cook Islands, which I
haven't heard over the air since I visited that country years ago. I'm
still hoping to catch them on 630 kHz during a coastal DXpedition some day
(I know you even have one or more QSLs from them on 630 :^)

BTW, an excellent app for Internet radio on mobile devices is the TuneIn
Radio app. Highly recommended!
73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA