From: am-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:am-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> [mailto:am-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chernos Saul
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:21 AM
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:am@xxxxxxxxxxx>; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; amdx@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:amdx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [NRC-AM] Michigan radio question (WDOW-WKPR 1440)

Your comments are appreciated, Earl, even if Canada no longer has the penny...took it out of circulation earlier this year.

Saul
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 06:10:37 -0800
From: earlthenut@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:earlthenut@xxxxxxxxx>
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:am@xxxxxxxxxxx>; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; amdx@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:amdx@xxxxxxxxxx>
I count these things as new stations only if the new station transmitter coordinates are more than 50 air miles from the old station transmitter coordinates. That's just my personal criteria, but I find it works well in distinguishing between "essentially call changes" and "this really is a new station with a new set of parameters to go after". Notable examples in recent years are the Texas situation on 620 and on 990, Topeka/Kansas City on 1250, Potosi/Troy Missouri on 1280, etc.

Old transmitter coordinates can be gotten from old issues of Broadcasting Yearbook (available in a huge archive somewhere online, I forgot where). New transmitter coordinates can, of course, be obtained from the FCC database.

It doesn't answer your question specifically about this station, but it gives you my opinion-which is worth every penny!

Earl Higgins
St. Louis, Missouri