[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, October 11-17, 2013

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, October 11-17, 2013

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes
utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** CUBA. 890 // 900, Oct 16 at 0608, same song in Spanish from SE vs CCI on both, surely R. Progreso, Chambas, Ciego de Ávila, and much further San Germán, Holguín, respectively, 200 and 50 kW per WRTH. There are also CMBC`s listed on 810, 820, 850, 880, 920, 940, etc., etc., which one might also be able to log by // to 890 if not 4765 at this hour (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 540, Oct 16 at 1200 UT, partial ID mentions 95.9 FM, Ciudad de México, and the four descending XEW chimes, then news headlines with liners as ``info-radio``(?), mentions Planeta; 1203 already into English music ``When You`re Smiling`` (Satchmo?), then DJ discussing it in Spanglish.

>From Cantú this appears to be the XEWA in Monterrey, which is W Radio and presumably relaying from the DF, XEW-900 and 96.9 (not 95.9 as I thought I heard); rather than the other XEWA in SLP, despite the power disparity:
540 XEWA W Radio Monterrey, N.L.                         1,500   1,000
540 XEWA Los 40 Principales + FM 103.9 San Luís Potosí 150,000 150,000
Looped roughly SSW, both in about the same direxion. By nulling this, I could also hear another SS further west, presumably usual XETX in Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 550, Oct 15 at 1231 UT, full ID for XEPL FM and AM, Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, ``La Super-Estación``. 5000/150 watts per IRCA. Our sunrise-skip window is latening, with bottom of the band still open, our Enid sunrise today 1239. In a couple sesquiweeks it will surpass 1300 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 610, Oct 11 at 1203 UT ``Sabinas al Día`` morning news, ``aquí en la región carbonita`` (coal-mining area), mixing more with KCSP Kansas City than with XEGS in Guasave, Sinaloa, which usually dominates a bit later. Cantú:
610 XEBX La Primera Sabinas, Coah. 5,000 500
Have not yet heard ``La Primera`` slogan as also in WRTH, IRCA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 620, Oct 14 at 1201 UT, segué from norteña music to national anthem --- this is really a fine piece of music and I don`t tire of hearing it, especially this orchestral rendition, yet multi-verse so you never know when the final cadence will really end it, and so you don`t have to hear the bloodthirsty war-mongering lyrix, rendered instead by violins.

1205 segué to also fine Chihuahua state anthem, this with lyrix by baritone. 1206 full ID by SHVA for La Norteñita, XEBU 91.7 and 620 with 25 kW, ``llegando a Ud. en alta definición`` --- really? Maybe IBOC on FM? Never hear the noise around it on AM, unlike from KMIK 620 The Metroplex, which this habitually dominates on sunrise skip (and much of the night as well).

(Not sure if KMIK is IBOC at nite, as no problem with 610 and 630 signals; in daytime KMIK colludes with KWPN 640 Moore OK to IBOCize everything from 610 to 660; BTW, on 640 you`re more likely to hear an ID with its ex-call WWLS, now applying to 98.1.)

The 25 kW presumably applies to 91.7, as 620 power is listed as 5/1 kW in WRTH, 10/1 kW in IRCA, and Cantú:
620 XEBU La Norteñita + FM 91.7 Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 1,000

Thanks to non-direxionality and southern-advantage, even if really running 1 kW at night, XEBU is the dominant 620 here, as we`re in a `hole` among US stations, all of the nearest ones with nulls more or less toward OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 630, Oct 13 at 1159 UT, ``Somos Radio México, Monterrey``, i.e. XEFB, that being their group rather than specific slogan. Oops, I see XEFB is missing from the 2012 IRCA Mexican log; hope they got it in the 2013 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 680, Oct 12 at 1211 UT, timecheck for 6:12, phone numbers; 1212 now it`s ``6:14`` so the studio clock must be a sesquiminute fast; then guy on the phone with detailed ``estado del tiempo`` weather forecast for the entire nation; must have mentioned every state, until 1220 finally gets to ``nuestra región del Pacífico norte``, outro as named Rodríguez; 1221 ``desde Guasave, Sinaloa, Noticias en Punto --- Multimedios``. Then on to a report on ``estado de fresas`` --- strawberries?? They are measured in cubic meters, ``almacenados`` with impressive flow rates --- oh, it`s about *presas* = dams and their storage and release capacity, etc. at 1223. Cantú:
680 XEORO La Mera Jefa + FM 93.7 Guasave, Sinaloa 1,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 690, Oct 16 at 1210 UT, promo with 800-numbers, XEN with full ID, 100,000 watts, street address, Grupo Radio Centro, amid a show which runs from 6 am to 1 pm (CT). KGGF nulled. Cantú:
690 XEN La 69 México, DF 100,000 5,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Oct 11 at 1224 UT, ``La Poderosa`` ID and romantic song; earlier there was some hum, but no big deadair pause today from:
700 XEGD La Poderosa + FM 90.3 Hidalgo del Parral, Chih. 5,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Oct 12 at 1225 UT, choral NA is playing at odd time; 1226 bit of a song about Chihuahua and Parral, then ID for ``XEGD, La Poderosa``, and also FM on 90.3, ``sistema combo``; full name of city ``Hidalgo del Parral`` is rarely heard. Hidalgo means noble or aristocrat, but probably derived here from name of an historical figure. This station habitually gets off to a rough start in the mornings, with dead air, hum, variable sign-ons, etc. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 720, Oct 11 at 1209 UT, studio talk show pauses for Grupo Radio Centro plug, romantic song in English, loops WSW, so no doubt the only Mexican in the northwest, per Cantú:
720 XEJCC Extremo 7-20 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 1,0000 [sic]
then mixing with another Spanish station much further east which I can still hear by nulling the first one, but that`s not XEDE in Saltillo now, instead KSAH Universal City TX, since San Antonio mentioned, and 1216 UT ad in Spanish for A-1 Car Stereo, on I-10, and also has 877- toll-free number. KSAH is listed with ESPN Deportes, but this may have been a local show as well as local ads (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 780, Oct 12 at 1206 UT, full ID for ``La Poderosa``, ``25 años sirviendo a la región``, XESFT, also FM 103.7, ``Grupo Radiorama, la cadena que une a México``, then live show about Tamaulipas. Cantú:
780 XESFT La Triple T + FM 103.7 San Fernando, Tamps. 5,000 1,000
Did not hear the ``Triple T`` slogan mentioned, but maybe missed it. This with KSPI Stillwater OK completely nulled, and it`s too late for WBBM to be a problem (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 780-, Oct 16 at 0614 UT, some station is now off-frequency enough to the lo side to make a lo audible het with WBBM, approx. opposite direxion, as it`s not Pueblo music which makes only a slow SAH with WBBM. At 1216 UT with KSPI OK nulled, I am again hearing that het with a station in Spanish, but stepping up and down to nearby frequencies with BFO, KSPI is also off to the lo side (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 810, Oct 12 at 1228 UT, rough hum loops NE/SW, overcome at 1229 by WHB KC as it pops onto day power and pattern, but can still hear the hum for a while. Only two XEs in the NW part of the country:
810 XESB Radio Mexicana +FM 94.9 Hidalgo del Parral, Chih. 1,000 1,000
810 XERSV Tribuna Radio          Cd. Obregón, Son.         5,000 D
per Cantú, so XESB is most likely. Altho KXOI, Crane (Odessa) TX is on the way with Spanish religion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 850, Oct 13 at 1220 UT, ``Milenio Radio, 103.7, éxitos de todos los tiempos``, then Elvis` Love Me Tender (in English), i.e. from XEM Chihuahua city, easy with KOA nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 900, Oct 12 at 1202 UT, federal PSAs, ID only as ``900``, 1203 teléfonos en cabina 83-77-97-73 y 83-79-88-39 for call-ins to live show from Iglesia de --- Impacto. Googling on Mexican phone numbers is usually unproductive and so are these, but there is an Iglesia de Alto Impacto of the Disciples of Christ in Monterrey NL, as I already strongly suspect this is XEOK, OK?

You might think http://radioacir.net would go to network HQ in the DF, but it`s axually XEOK`s own page, and displays the two phone numbers at the bottom, except 83-77-95-73 instead of the -97- I must have miscopied.

(Why didn`t USA just go to 8-digit local phone numbers, immediately dekamating the availabilities, rather than messing with overlaying and cleaving more and more area codes, requiring 11-digit dialing??)

Beware: website autolaunches audio whether wanted or not. Cantú:
900 XEOK OK 900 AM Monterrey, N.L. 10,000 2,500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 970, Oct 16 at 0609 UT, really lovely heartfelt version of ``Malagueña Salerosa``, maybe Linda Ronstadt? But no back-announce, just 0612 ID as ``La Jota Mexicana, 970-AM``, i.e. XEJ, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua. Salerosa refers to salt, salty? Witty? What does it really connote in this title? Google translate can`t handle saleroso/a at all.

950 and 970 stations have no problem getting past my local 960 KGWA, while my other 1 kW local, 1390 KCRC, blox its adjacent channels and desensitizes even further ones (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1030, Oct 16 at 1243 UT, two stations in Spanish, one of which IDs as 103.3 y 970, Radio Fórmula, i.e. relaying the network flagship in the DF; Cantú does not cross-reference 103.3 on the 970 frequency listing, but separately does have 103.3 as XERFR too. Per 1030 listing this one is:
1030 XEYC Radio Fórmula Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 1060, Oct 13 at 1206 UT, Radio Educación ID amid heavy CCI, mainly from KIJN Farwell TX, the cheating 10 kW all-night ``daytime`` gospel-huxter on the NM border, playing praise music in Spanish, and also easily recognizable by the fast SAH it makes with anything else. When that`s nulled, XEEP confronts KGFX opposite from SD; see U S A.

Lucky XEEP in the DF is now the only Mexican left with a nationally clear channel on MW, 100/20 kW, but does little good up here. (XEB 1220 now confronts a daytimer in Saltillo). They ought to upgrade their SW to fulltime, high power, and preferably better frequencies than 6185; that`ll never happen (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) And why should they cut to only 20 kW at nite on 1060???

** MEXICO. 1180, Oct 13 at 0559 UT, full ID for XEDCH and its FM; hardly any R. Rebelde problem, but instead from KFAQ Tulsa 1183 IBOC noise, and KZOT 1180 Nebraska, but the latter can be nulled. Yes, XEDCH is the call I heard instead of as in current Cantú:
1180 XEJK Ke buena + FM 95.3 Cd. Delicias, Chih. 5,000 1,500

IRCA Mexican Log 2012 does list it as XEDCH, 5000/250 watts // XHDCH 95.3. WRTH 2013 splits the difference with XEDCH, 5000/1500 watts. All agree on the Ke Buena slogan (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 541.2, Oct 12 at 0051, carrier hetting 540 stations. I am still not quite certain whether this is a local device, or perhaps a real station, off-frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TA carrier search, Oct 13 at 0046-0051: JBA on 1521, 1215, 1152, 1044, 882 kHz, not necessarily in that order, and not 783 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Atlantic carrier search Oct 14 at 0052-0056 UT: JBA on 882, 945, 1053, 1215 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TA carrier search Oct 16 at 0056-0059: JBA detectable only on 774, 783 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)