Re: [IRCA] Alberta TP/DU for 13 Oct 2013

Re: [IRCA] Alberta TP/DU for 13 Oct 2013

Unfortunately got to my Perseus only after 14:00, at which time, I too had
1575 (along with a carrier just below 1575) at fairly good levels.  This
continued to 1575 with VOA programming.  I'm happy to report that having
spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, I was able to locate a couple
of faults in my antenna system, which have been now repaired.  On my North
facing corner fed loop, I found that my termination resistors were faulty.
 I had 3 in series to make about 980 ohms, and when checked, I was getting
infinity!  I wasn't sure where the fault was, so I removed these 3 and
found one of the three faulty.  These were replaced with an appropriate
single resistor and weather proofed, and now it works fine.  My backyard
neighbour constructed a hot top right in the vicinity of this antenna, as
well as my ALA 100 loop, which is above my garage, but the coax runs down
by the not tub.  I noticed that the coax had been moved, during the
construction.  Climbing the roof, one of the wires to the ALA was off!  No
wonder the performance was so poor and noisy!  That was quickly fixed.  I'm
now back in the game!   The noise that I've struggled with for a while,
just might be diminished greatly.  At least my signals this morning were on
par, or perhaps just a bit stronger than Nick's DX Fishbarrel!  73,   Walt
Salmaniw, Victoria, BC