[IRCA] New Zealand all the way 28July2013 from Masset

[IRCA] New Zealand all the way 28July2013 from Masset

Really great DU DX this morning.  I started at 12:01 UTC, and continued for
the next 90 minutes.  I was amazed at the X-band, which I've never heard so
well.  I urge the  Oregon and Rockwork gang to pay extra attention to this
part of the band.  First, a few antenna problems.  I put up a DKAZ
yesterday....a thing of beauty, with 2 20' poles, and 88' from end to end.
1 kohm resistor, and a FLG100 fed by coax to the shack.  For some reason, a
total dud.  I'm not sure why at all.  I thought it might have been a good
performer.  I'll have to troubleshoot things later today.  I had it aimed
right at NZ too.  My BOG running along the sand dunes, aimed about 275 deg
also has been a total dud.  It's more or less parallel to the ocean.  Deaf
too, even with a preamp at the antenna head.  Comments are welcome on this
problem.  Seems to me that I've read somewhere that parallel to the ocean
does not work.  It's coming down today, and I'll put back the very
successful NW BOG that I've used for years.  That one's always a great
performer.  I think that it's time for me to consider some of the really
heavy duty coax I have up here....mil spec 50 ohm cable, but really big
stuff.  Figuring out the BNC connections will be the issue.  I suppose I
could try splicing a foot of regular RG58 cable, with a BNC connector,
rather than trying to attach a BNC directly to the big cable.  That way, I
suspect I could eliminate a lot of noise issues from the cheaper coax.

Nothing too interesting with the solar indices:  SF:  110, A: 6, K: 1.

Now onto the more interesting loggings.  Sure would have loved to have been
at Rose Spit this morning!

An almost total absence of any Asiatic activity today.  All loggings were
made using my large diameter ALA 100 antenna aimed SW/NE.

Upper half of the band was best, so from top to bottom:

1701:  Strong today with obvious Hindi programming.  No cochannels.
1683:  2 cochannels here.
1674:  American accented religious programming.
1665:  Nice EZL music  ?Greek
1656:  Easy to hear 2 stations.  Chinese, and a cochannel Greek or Arabic.
1638:  Excellent at 13:00 with Chinese and Arabic
1629:  ID:  "1629, I love my country" at 12:59  at good level
1611:  A lot of stations here smudged across the frequency.  Still, I
suspect that I'll be able to make something out.
1602:  My highlight today was the Radio Reading Service.  Very strong  It's
been years since I've heard them, and never this good.
1593:  Radio Samoa.  Strong.  2 cochannels:  1592.969 and 1593.004.
1584:  Id at 12:45:55 as, "Picton 1584 AM".  2 cochannels:  1584.000 and
1584.031.8
1557:  "$99 dollar price" at 12:57.  Again cochannels.
1494:  Nice Southern Star
1386:  Strong NZ with Hindi music.  Always an indication of good reception
to be had!
1287:  One of the few JJ stations audible.
1251:  EZL music DU
1215:  DU ads at good level.
1179, 1116, 1107:  all DU
1026:  2 cochannels with echo.  I suspect that these are both the Newstalk
NZ stations. // to 1035.
1008:  2 cochannel DU here.  ?both NZ and Australia
954, 819, 792, 783:  all DU
774, 747:  NHK 2 weaker than usual.
738:  RFO Tahiti at very good level.
684, 657, 621, 567:  all DU

This is just a little of what I heard this morning.  Again, I'm sure that
the Oregonians did very well too.  I'm looking forward to a couple of
nights at Rose Spit!  73,....Walt Salmaniw, Masset, BC