Re: [IRCA] [ultralightdx] Re: DXers signing off

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM, <D1028Gary@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> John Bryant and I formed the Ultralight Radio DXing community primarily to provide DXers an alternative to the gloom-and-doom atmosphere, and the new niche group caught on like wildfire. A positive, exciting message will drown out pessimism every time. Ultralight radio DXing is tough, challenging and completely different from relying on table receivers and large antennas for success-- but the challenge forces you to develop new skills and attitudes... something that you haven't needed to do for decades. The other side of the coin is that the new challenge provides you with DXing excitement that you haven't felt for decades, either!

Yeah, and thanks for that.  A chance meeting with Richard Allen at the
OKC Train Show a few years back where the discussion turned from
trains to the subject of TP DXing on ultralights lead me to a Tecsun
PL606 (though he and I would probably prefer "Oklahomun"-branded
radios).  I've not done as much AM DXing as I'd like subsequently, but
I would not have done *any* (save for Cubs baseball on WGN in the car
at night) had it not been for the ULR folks.

I gotta say, the *content* of the broadcasts these days really turns
me off on two levels:  one is the sameness - regardless of station,
it's all programmed out of the same corporate offices in a way that it
wasn't 30-40 years ago.  Worse, the ads are all the same!

The other is that there is so much *crap* on the airwaves!  Political,
conspiracies, combinations of same.  Back in the day, the most radical
thing you were likely to hear was the stuff from the Chicago
Federation of Labor on WCFL (1000 kHz, Chicago - now WMVP).  I'd be
hesitant to give a kid an ultralight these days given some of what
can be heard (and explained the next morning).

But it's still just as exciting to log a new station!