[IRCA] Time For Something Positive

I too read with sadness of the decision to discontinue the AM Logbook site. Lee's announcement generated a number of comments lamenting the current state of the hobby and folks leaving it. I have a different story to tell.

I started BCB Dxing as a youngster and loved it. That led me to SWLing which in turn led me to amateur radio. I'm retired now have downsized; no more big ham radio towers and antennas but I am a DXer at heart. Two years ago I 'rediscovered' the AM band and BCB Dxing. It gives me my Dxing fix and have been totally and thoroughly enjoying it. My enthusiasm spread to my brother who is also now enjoying his AM Dxing, and for him, FM as well.

So, it's not all doom and gloom. Despite IBOC, noisy listening, etc, etc, there is life in the hobby. The online tools we have available to aid and abet us in the hobby are incredible compared to my early internet-less days. Today's radios and antenna technology are equally as incredible.

I was reading some of these posts and couldn't help but think of Mark Twain's obit comment about reports of his death being greatly exaggerated. Have fun guys. I am!

Anthony R Gargano
n2ss@xxxxxxxx