From: John Callarman <johncallarman@xxxxxxx>
To: IRCA <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Jul 1, 2013 3:12 pm
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Time For Something Positive

One of my positive memories was meeting Gary DeBock, by accident, in Seaside,
Oregon one recent summer when he dropped in as I was visiting with Mr. Martin at
his DX Den. Another is a friendship with John Bryant that dated back to 1956.
DeBock, Martin and Bryant, along with Freshwater, were among my DX heroes who
SHARED their expertise with the rest of us.

John Callarman, KA9SPA, Family Genealogist, Retired Newspaper Editor, DX-oyente,
Krum TX (AKA Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon)

> From: johncallarman@xxxxxxx
> To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:06:53 -0500
> Subject: Re: [IRCA] Time For Something Positive
>
> Anthony, I appreciate your comments. What has happened in my case is not that
I've lost my love for DX, it's simply that other time-consuming hobbies have
moved up the list of how I enjoy spending my time.

> During the first six years that I moved back to Texas, I enjoyed the challenge
of identifying the stations that would from time to time give me enough clues
for a positive ID and a decent tape on a crowded frequency. I could still enjoy
the challenge, but there are things that I now enjoy more. I'm so far behind on
keyboarding genealogical and family history information I've collected into the
data base I could spend 24/7 for months on that chore alone.

> I'd like to put KA9SPA back on the air, having enjoyed DX'ing, county hunting,
10-10, and schmoozing with fellow hams a Dayton. At my age, 78, the primary
legacy I want to leave is a completed family history on Callarmans, where I've
identified more than 6,000 descendants of the first John Callarman in America,
who died in Fleming County, Kentucky in 1819.

> The lure of DX remains, but the temptation is currently being resisted.
>
> Carry on, fellow DX'ers, and keep the hobby going!
>
> John Callarman, KA9SPA, Family Genealogist, Retired Newspaper Editor,
DX-oyente, Krum TX (AKA Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon)

> > From: n2ss@xxxxxxxx
> > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:00:03 -0400
> > To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [IRCA] Time For Something Positive
> >
> > I too read with sadness of the decision to discontinue the AM Logbook site.
Lee's announcement generated a number of comments lamenting the current state of
the hobby and folks leaving it. I have a different story to tell.

> > I started BCB Dxing as a youngster and loved it. That led me to SWLing which
in turn led me to amateur radio. I'm retired now have downsized; no more big ham
radio towers and antennas but I am a DXer at heart. Two years ago I
'rediscovered' the AM band and BCB Dxing. It gives me my Dxing fix and have been
totally and thoroughly enjoying it. My enthusiasm spread to my brother who is
also now enjoying his AM Dxing, and for him, FM as well.

> > So, it's not all doom and gloom. Despite IBOC, noisy listening, etc, etc,
there is life in the hobby. The online tools we have available to aid and abet
us in the hobby are incredible compared to my early internet-less days. Today's
radios and antenna technology are equally as incredible.

> > I was reading some of these posts and couldn't help but think of Mark
Twain's obit comment about reports of his death being greatly exaggerated. Have
fun guys. I am!

> > Anthony R Gargano
> > n2ss@xxxxxxxx

original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its editors, publishing staff, or officers