[IRCA] DXers signing off

Reading the posts by Lee Freshwater and John Callarman left me feeling
saddened and nostalgic. Saddened for the obvious decline of AM radio and
our DXing hobby, and saddened to see two of our legendary DXers signing
off. And nostalgic for those magical winter nights when I was a teen in the
1950s-60s, listening first with a little Zenith table radio, then with a
Hallicrafters S-85, feeling the excitement of hearing 1 or 5 kw stations in
California from my western PA QTH, or the OCs suddenly bursting into the
SSB with the s/on of a 500 watter in the deep South, or the barely audible
1YZ on 800, or the amazing signals from daytimers doing Monday-AM FCs or
ETs or DX tests on actual clear channels, or the evening parade of s/offs
on 1580 progressing westward every 15 minutes, or the astonishing morning
when HCJB-1310 faded up to top the channel after sunrise for a once-in-a
lifetime clear ID, or typing my report to NRC's DX News and sending it
off...

Well, as the song says, everything must change, nothing stays the
same...but it's been a great ride, and I'm glad for all of us who got to be
a part of it!