[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK June 7-13, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK June 7-13, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 530, June 11 at 1205 UT, ``K530AM``, Vance AFB is open carrier/dead air. This thing had been pretty reliable, with no storm or other excuse for it to be dead today, but anyone who axually listens to it must have severe short-term memory loss, as the same PSAs and local gate hours etc., have been repeated every few minutes for months and months. One of those set-it-up, turn-it-on, and forget-it as far as the Communications Squadron is concerned. It *could* be so much more with local ``programming`` or at least a huge rotation of national PSAs instead of only a handful. Now how long till they notice that the modulation has crashed? Still silent at 1438 recheck, and signal strength also seems degraded, but not sure about that.

530, June 12 at 0024 UT check, ``K530AM``, Vance AFB, Enid TIS has finally resumed modulation with the usual quick rotation of national PSAs mostly about safety (keyword: Amanda), and local info about open hours of different Vance gates. I`ve yet to see reports of anyone else hearing this beyond Enid, and googling on the non-call brings up nothing relevant except my own reports (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, June 12 at 0503-0505 UT, the KGWA Enid Fox-hole is deeper than usual, as the KGWA open carrier is weaker than usual; maybe on aux transmitter? Nothing definite to ID, but sounds like usual KMA ABC news and blues music from WABG. Once KGWA resumes modulating at 0505 I can still null it enough to hear the competition, which is never usually the case.

960, June 13 at 0459 UT tune-in to KGWA Fox-hole, to find it`s totally off the air, so I can hear KGKL TX [see U S A]. *0503 KGWA carrier cuts back on: like last night it`s weaker than usual, and easier to null and hear the other stuff even after modulation resumes at 0505. But KGWA still has problems. At 0515 I notice it`s off the air again --- no, it isn`t: the signal meter is full but it`s broadcasting noise and mix of audio; STL failure? A few minutes later it`s again back to normal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, KEOR, Radio Victoria, Sperry/Tulsa/Catoosa, is still quite irregular, but noted ON the air at 1955 UT June 7 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1460, KZUE, La Tremenda, El Reno: June 7 at 1954 UT check it`s on with local call-in instead of XERFR relay 24 hours earlier, since mentioned (in Spanish) tornado, generator and staying on the air, after which it promptly went off! Came back on about 2022 with music only for a while.

June 8 at 1500 it`s on with preacher past 1600. Meanwhile, I am looking for the Radio Road turnoff on SH3 = Northwest Expressway in OKC terminology, but I never see it east of US 81. Sign removed? Next check at 2332 UT, it`s open carrier dead air.

Regarding Radio Road upon which KZUE is addressed in El Reno at 2715 South Radio Road: Looking at Google maps, I now see that the North Radio Road which turns south off SH 3 NW of OKC, and which I could not find anyway (no GPS or even internet in the car for me!) goes only a little way, and is not continuous all the way to KZUE, which is marked on the east side of S Radio Road, between Historic US 66 and I-40. The northern part is a.k.a. N2860 road. There is more than one discontinuity of Radio Road, majorly by no crossing of the North Canadian River. So it`s just as well I did not try to reach KZUE from the north!

South of the river, the N/S Radio Road is slightly further east than it is north of there. I assume calling it Radio Road further to the north is merely an extension from its original raison d`être as the site for KELR just SE of El Reno. This is common practice in OK; as even some OKC street names get extended into the rural area around El Reno, and dubbed ``northeast`` in terms of El Reno, while they are really northwest in terms of OKC, and also have their own NE segments on the true NE side of OKC. E.g. Britton Road, Memorial Road, etc. Totally rural areas must now have named `streets` for 911 purposes. AFAIK there is no reason such as another radio station, to call it Radio Road anywhere north of KZUE (Glenn Hauser, Enid, June 9, 2013, WORLD OF RADIO 1673, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, June 13 at 0520 UT, Vietnamese with WWL nulled and causing a SAH with it, i.e. KFJZ Fort Worth, 1 kW daytimer cheating again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, June 13 at 0459 UT tune-in to local KGWA Fox-hole, to find it`s totally off the air, and just in time to hear full ID for ``News-talk 960, KGKL, San Angelo`` TX, and ABC news with echo from presumed KMA IA; other QRM but KGKL dominates until *0503 KGWA carrier cuts back on: like last night it`s weaker than usual, and easier to null to hear the other stuff even after modulation resumes at 0505. Continued under OKLAHOMA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510-, June 7 at 1247 UT, het on the lo side, apparently caused by KCTE Independence MO being off-frequency, Mike & Mike from ESPN. Against what? Likely KNNS Larned KS which as we discovered months ago is no longer ESPN but Spanish, and is barely audible here by daytime groundwave, while KCTE comes only via residual skywave even now, a sesquihour after sunrise (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660+, June 10 at 0527, JBA carrier, slightly on the hi side compared to 1660 stations, which was also the case for KGLD Tyler TX, 2 x 1330, last logged March 12, and previously definitely IDed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Mostly Mexican? It`s finally happened --- no separate international logs to report this week