Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Poor BOG reception

One problem we have had at the LBI DXpeditions has been excessive pickup of electrical noise on the BOGs, which are at least 50' from the nearest power line or transformer. We investigated by taking a portable out onto the beach and beyond where the BOG's were. We found that the noise field was large enough to affect the BOG's even though the lines and transformers were in the null.

Apparently near field electrical noise is not as impacted by the antenna's directionality, so depending on how close those operations were to you, and particularly whether they were off one or both ends of the BOG, that could well be what happened.

FWIW, we've been able to obtain a much better S/N ratio using broadband antennas such as superloops and flags without sacrificing adequate gain to distribute to multiple receivers.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>