[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 29-April 4, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 29-April 4, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, April 1 at 2010 UT, KEOR Catoosa/Tulsa/Sperry, R. Victoria, has good 7-kW-ish signal on caradio with continuous praise music in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa, R. Victoria, continues to be heard in full daytime groundwave on the caradio with música de alabanza, but apparently still not running a full daytimer schedule: April 2 at 1220 UT check, nothing in the null of KMOX. Official FCC KEOR sunrise in April is 1145 UT, sunset 0100 UT. If its CP for Critical Hours is also in effect, could be running 7 kW well past sunset too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, April 3 at 1222 UT, praise music in Spanish, weak with slow SAH against KMOX almost null, so KEOR, R. Victoria is on as early as this today (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1663, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1560, April 1 at 2015, rather raunchy stand-up comedy routine about sex & marriage, surely OT for R. Disney, KEBC, Del City. Then mentions 24/7 Comedy, so it`s the same network as on CFRX 6070 six overnights per week. On to Imo. A little April fool joke?

It`s not on the station list at:
http://www.247comedy.com/pages/allstations.html
but neither is CFRB/CFRX unless there is a separate map which recognizes Canada as something other than the blank side of the border. And R. Disney no longer lists any affiliate in OK, having already disposed of KMUSkogee 1380 last year. Now there will be no more confusion with WQEW on 1560! {But Godforbid any Oklakiddies still have 1560 on their pushbuttons!}

It`s a permanent format change as of a week or two ago per the Oklahoma forum at
http://radiodiscussions.com/smf/index.php?topic=232032.0
which I will quote in detail in DXLD. FCC shows no change in callsign from KEBC, but not always up to date (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1663, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Still haven`t caught a call ID but slogan is ``Comedy 15-16``

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, April 4 at 0542 UT check, is KYHN Sallisaw/Fort Smith AR, finally programming? NO, still with program preview reel over and over and over including self-aggrandizement as a 10,000-watt station eclipsing puny 1,000-watters, even tho it must also be 1 kW after dark. Closing in on two months of this nonsense (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=======================

** U S A. 640, April 2 at 1236 UT with KWPN OK nulled, a gospel huxter in English with extended prayer really intended to influence listeners rather than God; would expect to get KFI just after sunrise here, long before sunrise there, but could it possibly be doing this at 5:36 am PDT? No! Bill Handel show on schedule from 5 am weekdays. Instead, must be WCRV Collierville TN (Memphis) now on 50 kW day power itself (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 687 & 713 kHz, March 30 at 0618 UT, IBOC noise peaks, obviously from WLW; haven`t noticed this before. Did they just turn it back on? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, March 29 at 0512 UT, open carrier/dead air again no doubt from 10/5 kW KGGF, Coffeyville KS, which has an appalling record of no one-minding-the-store, like my log of an afternoon game lacking audio except for the commercial breaks July 18, 2010, and almost as bad on October 3 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, March 31 at 0558 UT, El Paso ad vs KGGF open carrier, and IBOC noise from WLW 700, i.e. KTSM; 690 earlier bore SS, probably XEN, see UNIDENTIFIED (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, April 1 at 0551 UT open carrier/dead air is again dominant here, i.e. KGGF Coffeyville KS. This has been happening again and again after local midnight, as if deliberate, but surely not; why not just turn off the transmitter completely if nothing to modulate? I`m sure the municipal Coffeyville Electric Dept doesn`t mind the extra 5+ kWh on the bills (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, April 2 at 0541 UT, KGGF Coffeyville KS once again in open carrier/dead air, vs IBOC noise from 700 WLW. Misprogrammed automation and no one at the station has noticed? Are they still billing for commercials overnight which did not really air? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 700, April 2 at 1240 UT, weak but clear signal from N/S in Spanish, with ad for oil-changer, mentioning phone 469-725-0943 several times. 469 means one of the Dallas overlays, so must be KHSE Wylie TX, which as of the NRC AM Log 2012-2013 was 24 hours Asian. Not any more, or not at all? I`m sure I heard this in `Asian` not long ago in the daytime as barely makes it here on groundwave in low-noise areas. Wikipedia still has it as ``FunAsia 700`` and ultimately linked to Facebook, or http://www.funasia.net/index.php which seems to be current, showing 104.9 FM and 1110 AM, i.e. KVTT. If that`s the inhabitant on 50 kW 1110 now, they might as well do something else with sesqui-kW 700; inconsequential that 700 reaches OK better than 1110 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, April 3 at 1234 UT, ``KKOB sports``, fair but steady signal; must already be LSR there for ND 50 kW? Yes, FCC official Albuquerque sunrise time for April is 1230 UT, altho today it`s really 1250; calculated by closest quarter-hour at mid-month which will then be near 1230. Our sunrise today was 1214.

BTW, the other New York-blocker further west on 660, KTNN sometimes coincides with KKOB SR times, but in April-May-June it`s a quarter-hour later at 1245, 1215 and 1200 UT respectively (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 860, April 3 at 1232 UT, polka piece, i.e. the regular morning spot on KKOW Pittsburg KS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 860, April 4 at 1222 UT, traffic report mentioning ``the 1604`` which immediately leads to the grand loop around San Antonio, also a ``farm-to-market`` route, which again nails it to Texas, where such are the fourth-level road network below interstate, US, and state highways, so no need to hear the ``KONO 101.1`` ID which followed along with ``gun-accurate traffic`` (is that what she said???), and San Antonio ads, totally dominating KKOW Pittsburg-without-the-h KS, briefly at sunrise skip (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, April 2 at 0549 UT, WWL is as usual sharply nullable, and this time there is an occupant --- in Vietnamese! IIRC, 870 was once a major frequency in Saigon, but unlikely now. Instead, it has to be KFJZ Fort Worth TX, which flipped from Spanish to Vietnamese a few months ago. See my previous research & analysis in DXLD 12-50:
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1250.txt

But it`s a 1 kW DAYTIMER! And this is after midnite. Listened a few more minutes and no doubt that the talk is in Vietnamese, making 4 Hz SAH with WWL. Some are willing to give daytimers-at-night a pass, blaming on automation failure to turn off the transmitter, especially if programming continues 24h online or onFM, but not me; HUMANS are still responsible for the damned automation! Does this one have an FM // now? (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1663, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, April 4 at 0558 UT, with WWL nulled, again hearing Vietnamese song past hourtop, 0602 Vietnamese announcement. No KFJZ calls detected, but did say ``Tieng noi voi`` or somesuch. This daytimer is still cheating overnight, so if you hear Vietnamese in the nightmiddle vs WWL, it`s not Saigon but Fort Worth TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1663, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 880, April 1 at 0540 UT, KRVN Nebraska is dominant as usual but in tight E/W null, I am hearing Cuban music and something in English: the latter proves to be WCBS news with weather mentioning White Plains! (which I always associate with AT&T on SW). Believe it or not, WCBS and the other NYC `clears` are quite a rarity out here more than 2 megameters away. By 0541 I am hearing a Mex mx mix instead but if it was really Cuba earlier that would be a 10 kW R. Progreso in Mantua, Pinar del Río per WRTH (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, April 1 at 0544 UT after hearing WCBS and Cuban music with KRVN nulled, ``La Ley`` mentioned which could be a slogan ID; trouble is, none such listed for Mexico on 880 in WRTH, IRCA or Cantú, altho the latter easily searchable does have five of them on other Mexican frequencies. Could it be a US station? Yes! NRC AM Log shows WIJR Highland IL, 160 watts at night; just east of St Louis MO. Next question: why would any radio station name itself ``The Law``? Must have some other connotation (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, April 2 at 1230 UT, Arkansas weather and traffic, so KLRG is now doing something local, but fade out before I can hear whether this was just a break amid `Imus in the Morning` as allegedly scheduled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, April 4 at 1223 UT with KRVN NE nulled, KLRG Sheridan AR is quite good with `America`s Morning News` interview about Atlanta school cheaters, guest referencing his http://www.fairtest.org site. Signal equal to KRVN until KLRG sudden fadeout 1227.

Following my previous log, Fritze Prentice confirms: ``There has been a format change of programming on KLRG 880/K233BF 94.5 in metro Little Rock. KLRG (880) Sheridan AR and FM translator K233BF (Greenbrier/NLR AR) have dumped much of the fringe brokered programming for Black Gospel music, and the right wing "America's Morning News" (AMN previously heard on KKSP 93.3 before that station's flip to sports). Seems being the 3rd talk radio station in the market has had an effect and KLRG was known for its bizarre programming the past few years.
One thing is certain, Alex Jones is no longer part of the KLRG lineup.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/KLRG-880-Am945-FM/168740603215761
-- Fritze H. Prentice, Jr KC5KBV, Star City AR EM43aw
twitter.com/fritzehp  facebook.com/SoutheastArkansasDXAndMediaReport
April 3``
I wonder if there is still any connexion or overlap with WTAN Network programming from Clearwater FL, this big tail having been wagged by that little 1340 graveyard dog (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, April 2 at 0558 UT, with WKY OKC nulled, promo for `Coast-to-Coast` editorial contributions; 0559 Fox News Radio promo on ``Newsradio 930, WTAD Quincy``, IL, and into same. WTAD is indeed on the C2C station list. Neither Google nor Yahoo search can find a single hit on WTAD in the DXLD archive at site:www.w4uvh.net, so it must also be a new log for me. NRC Pattern Book 2005 shows mostly to the north at night, minor lobes E/W and even less to S, and should be a null toward WKY; however WTAD is 5/1 kW U2 = ND in daytime; hmmm (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, April 3 at 1230 UT, ``WTAD sports`` so it`s Quincy IL again with WKY nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 940, April 4 at 1229 UT, KIXZ is ``The new 9-40``, and now streaming so can be heard everywhere! http://voiceofamarillo.com But now at sunrise skip, it`s VG direct and dominant on 940 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, March 31 at 0503-0505 UT during another KGWA Fox-hole, blues guitar music dominates, presumably WABG Greenwood MS. Others have concluded WABG is sometimes running day facilities at night, which could explain its sporadic appearances under KGWA carrier. The previous few nights, KGWA kept modulating (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, April 1 at 0500-0505 UT, KGWA Fox-hole is occupied by ABC News, surely KMA Shenandoah IA, but as always, it contains nothing but national ads, and KGWA modulation cuts back on before anything local can be heard from the understation (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1050, March 29 0517 UT, altho XET 990 was inbooming, XEG 1050 must have been in a fade, as hardly needed nulling, when I heard an ID for ``Radio 10-50, KJBS``, briefly awakening me from my doze. This turned out to be the only significant log during this midnite bedtime session; uplooked later, it must have been KJBN, Little Rock AR, as there is no KJBS anywhere, nor anything fuzzily similar on 1050. But KJBN is supposed to be 19 watts at night, 1 kW day U1, with 64-watt PSRA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, April 2 at 1242 UT, unknown enthusiastic S Asian language from N/S vs LAH, also with some odd beeping which is probably from musical modulation artifacts. From previous experience I know what I am getting: Asian is KZEE, South Asian Radio in `Weatherford` TX, while the off-frequency is KMVL Madisonville TX beyond it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1320, April 4 at 1237, TSN news looping SW/NE, plus fast SAH no doubt from off-frequency KCLI Clinton OK, but skipping over it; plus SS QRM probably XECPN Piedras Negras, Coahuila beyond it. This has to be the other Texan 1320, KVMC Colorado City, 1 kW daytimer which NRC AM Log confirms is on the Texas State Network; it`s on I-20 between two other aqueous towns Sweetwater and Big Spring. This Colorado refers to the *other* River which goes on to Austin, what`s left of it after all those LCRA dams (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1400, March 31 at 0500-0507 UT perfunctory try for the WKBI Pennsylvania DX test when sweeps and code IDs were to be running, but nothing audible with heavy KCRC 1390 splash even with BFO tuned to 1402. It would have to penetrate the maximum signal from my closest local which normally makes 1400 a useless DX frequency here (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) It seems no one else heard it even in the same state, but Paul Walker assures it did run

** U S A. 1430, April 4 at 1240 UT, ``All-new KZQZ, 50,000 watts``, then ``House of the Rising Sun``. So its CP up from mere 5 kW must be on now, the 50K applying to daytime, still 5 kW at night, and U4. St Louis MO COL, but address across in Belleville IL (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1470, April 2 at 1249 UT, mentions high-heels race for the Children`s Miracle Network, then into TX politix, so I know it must be Abilene, currently called KYYW. Further confirmed by Google hit on:
http://www.racedayeventservices.com/apps/calendar/showEvent?calID=5622634&eventID=210159266&next=%2FshowAgenda%3FcalID%3D5622634%26pageNum%3D1
A great way to break your ankle! Which I know from experience is no fun, tho accomplished in another way. O, they are covered: ``Release, Waiver of Liability and Indemnity must be signed``(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, April 4 at 0547 UT, expecting the usual dominating TIS Branson-promotion station KLFJ in Springfield MO, 28 watts at night, but instead Cape Girardeau ads, and ID as ``Cape 15-50 and 100.3 FM``. So that`s one station beyond, KAPE, 48 watts at night! Yeah, sure; day power: 5000 (and there is a third 1550 Missourian in the other corner, St Joseph) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1310 & 1440, March 30 at 0606 UT, two stations on same network, but which? with Abbott & Costello ``Hu`s On First`` classic routine (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Later I saw that Jimmy Fallin and some guest had re-enacted it, so maybe such a clip minus visuals (gh)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1350, March 31 at 0534 UT, ``Viva México`` song; DF fits for KCOR San Antonio, Tejas, the usual SS dominator, but would they play such a song? Can you imagine any Mexican station playing USA patriotic music?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1470, March 31 at 0531 UT mention of ``davenportradio.com`` which I hoped would lead right to a station in or around Davenport IA, but the two Iowans on 1470 are too far away, and that website is a ``private blog`` with a login. Wonder what that`s about? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1490, March 31 at 1201 UT, some graveyarder is playing the `Star Spangled Banner`, still far too unusual on US radio dials. While the SSB is easily recognized in all the QRM, could not make out the announcement which followed, and then ``How Great Thou Art``, maybe from same transmitter. Could be just my nearest 1490 which owns 1490 once skywave is done, Jimmy Swaggart`s KMFS Guthrie OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)