[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 22-28, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 22-28, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA [and non]. 990, March 28 at 0536 UT I am observing the collision between CBW Winnipeg and XET Monterrey (which is not supposed to happen with XET beaming exclusively southward at night). They take turns dominating, and in between there is a huge SAH of about 6 Hz. Initially, XET is so strong it is even splatter-QRMing 1000 KTOK OKC unless side-tuned upward.

At 0609, CBW is atop with `The World` also afternoons on public radio in the USA, about fracking causing earthquakes in Oklahoma! Next story about bee die-out loses to XET, announcer saying this is his show number 18,280 since 1963y. His Spanish speech is rather slurred; must be a bit tired by now or maybe it`s just the late hour. Assuming that`s 50 years` worth, the number works out just right for 365 shows a year! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

========================

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Saturday March 23 at 1247 UT, KGWA Enid transmitting dead air, open carrier, with usual hum, just like almost nightly (but not March 23) at 0500-0505. Now, however, after sunrise, too little signal from any understation to recognize. Looking thru the disjointed program schedule,
http://www.kgwanews.com/lineup
I don`t find anything listed during this hour (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Monday March 25 at 0500-0505 UT, KGWA Fox-hole, dead air but the hum level is worse than usual, and all I can hear underneath at precise null is ABC News, i.e. KMA, Shenandoah IA. Often on UT Mondays there is no hole, but you never know whether there will be one or not from KGWA Enid (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, March 24 at 0545 UT, KOKP Perry in open carrier/dead air again, audiblizing more easily KDKA.

By next check 1214 UT, ``you`re listening to Max Sports 5`` looping over and over, apparently satellite feed in a break; tune to sibling station 1580 KOKB and same is airing there, but 1215 cut to a local Stillwater ad. At 1222, KOKP back to ``Max Sports 5``, then dead air (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, March 28 at 1957 UT, KEOR is back on with praise music in Spanish; after long pause at 2000 finally an ID: ``la mejor música, Radio Victoria, KEOR desde Tulsa, Oclajoma``, back to music. Now sounds subjectively stronger, and may well be on new 7 kW CP up from 2 kW, as well as starting regular service. I know it was not on the air the previous overnight, as nulled KMOX around 0530 to be sure (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, March 24 at 1239 UT, weather forecast includes hi of 74 today, from ``US Country 1210, KGYN``. Whatt?? Enid has snow on the ground, and NWS shows hi in Guymon will be 40. Enid SR was 1229 UT today, and KGYN`s official FCC sunrise in March is 1300. Maybe not now, but most of the time lately at night they seem to have been properly protecting Philadelphia, not inbooming here (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, March 24 at 0610 UT, open-carrier, dead air again from KOAG. All three Enid AM stations do this, more than elsewhere? Do they just not understand how to program their automation, or what? Obviously no one is in charge axually monitoring their own stations, especially overnight, godforbid with silent sensors awakening someone; who cares? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, March 23 at 0105 UT, haven`t checked KYHN Sallisaw/Fort Smith AR for several days, so are they still stunting? Yes! Still claiming to be a 10,000-watt station eclipsing puny 1 kW-ers, even tho they better be 1,000 watts themselves after sunset; sounds like it, as periodically losing out to Iowa. Promo for Clark Howard Show at 5-8 pm, 0107 still plugging it; 0108 singing ID for western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma, again flaunting its 10 kW superpower, announcing as `program previews`. This has been going on since reactivation Feb 11, first logged here Feb 12. When will KYHN ever get down to business? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, March 24 at 0611 UT, ``upcoming show previews`` still running on KYHN Sallisaw (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1662,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=====================

** U S A. 690, March 25 at 0547 UT, open carrier/dead air presumed from KGGF Coffeyville KS again, with KTSM El Paso audible underneath (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, March 22 at 0543 UT, no Mexican, just ``Classic K-double A-M, where every song is a song you know``, then a song I don`t know. Whose fault is that? Is 10/1 kW U4 Garland (The Metroplex) TX, per NRC AM Log with slogan ``Legends 77`` which apparently no longer applies (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, March 23 at 0605 UT, local Albuquerque ad, then dead air most of a minute; 0606 opening `Redeye Radio`` from Dallas. Usual quandary whether it`s leakage from the 50 kW balloon-snagging North Valley stick, here a few degrees off its null toward NYC, or the 230-watt non-direxional Santa Fe fill-in with no separate call from KKOB; for sure, it`s still not the other Redeye affiliate, WABC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 780, March 22 at 0545, KCEG ID, Pueblo CO, ad for a CD(?) ``Over There`` for $12 to a Colorado address, bluegrass music. Now the SAH with KSPI OK daytimer open carrier in the opposite direxion is slower than WBBM is with KSPI. May we assume that since WBBM employs awful IBOC, it`s the one precisely on-frequency? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, March 26 at 1258 UT, obscure lo-key concert band music, some sour notes, loops E/W, unusual morning fare. I bet it`s KURM in Rogers AR. Yes, at 1300 ID for ``super-radio coverage`` on KURM and several FM stations too quick to copy. Was the Bentonville Concert Band, adstring of band sponsors, 1302 music resumes, but no ID of what it is and was. In the concert-band subculture there is lots of obscure modern music by XX or XXI-century composers/band directors.

By 1306, KFYO Lubbock TX is overtaking, talking about the LSO = Lubbock Symphony Orchestra. We are not at a loss for high culture on the Llano Estacado or Walmart-land, and even in Enid we have our concert bands and symphony orchestra; and of course the Tri-State Music Festival in early May (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, March 24 at 0602 UT, WUMY Memphis TN ID, ``greatest country music ever made``; not much WCCO to compete. It`s WUMY which must be nulled to hear a bit o` `CCO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, March 26 at 0505 UT, Willie Nelson singing ``All of Me``, dominant with WCCO nulled, otherwise making SAH of about 8 Hz with it, i.e. WUMY Memphis TN as first heard two nights ago, also by many others, presumably running new 8 kW nondirexional day power, which FCC still shows as a CP to replace licensed 3 kW daytime only, and also with a CP for TWO WATTS at night. That`s just not enough to bother with!

But doesn`t WCCO care? Some `clear` channel. I can only hear it by nulling WUMY, fortunately close to 90 degrees apart from here, and then there is a slower 132/minute SAH from something else 2.2 Hz away from `CCO, XEIK? (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1662, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, March 28 at 0539 UT check, no WUMY Memphis TN even with WCCO nulled, so our fun is over after several nights of daytime-like operation instead of 2 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, March 26 at 1254 UT with KTLR OKC nulled, immediate ID for KGGN plugging its Facebook and streaming, ``News in a Minute`` from ``American Urban Radio Network``. Whence? Gladstone MO, per NRC AM Log, 960-watt daytimer. Where`s Gladstone? A suburb to the north of Kansas City. This close to a border, one must research which state the antenna really inhabit. If at the center of the FCC topo map with no pin, it`s indeed in Missouri between Gladstone and Liberty. I previously logged this on Nov 26, 2010 at 1312, as in DXLD 10-48 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1050, March 22 at 1250 UT, ``Sedalia`s number one news-talk, AM 10-50, KSIS``. Lucky Sedalia MO, small city with more than one? Not so lucky: altho it does have a lot of local or unknown talk, KSIS also propagates six hours a day of far-right wingnut liars Limbaugh & Hannity, a disservice to humanity. By now KSIS is on 1 kW non-direxional day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1230, March 24 at 0517 UT, sweep tones upward over and over, from the direxion of KSEY Seymour TX during its scheduled 2-hour DX test. This is easily audible without much QRM by tuning the DX-398 to 1232-USB, but I am not hearing any code IDs. Further:

0519 sweeps; 0523 sweeps; 0525 beeps but not code?; 0528 busy signal; 0529 sweeps; 0530 rapid beeps, sweeps. 0530 I switch to center-tuning 1230 on AM, and still hear some sweeps; 0531 slow code, but too much QRM to copy; 0533 sweeps; 0536 beeps, not code, busy signal; 0538 slow code now with partial copy: --XAS; 0542 now I copy: KSEY SEYMOUR TEXAS, more sweeps; with that I move on to other DX, but recheck 0608, sweeps; 0612 code (I am not calling this CW, because it isn`t).

I never heard any music or voice announcements from KSEY but some may have been lost in the mass of graveyard QRM. The pitch and modulation level of the code IDs were much below the sweep tones, unfortunately. It`s only 209 miles = 336 km from Seymour to Enid, and there are no 1230s in between. Of course we are much closer to opposite WBBZ Ponca City OK which in the daytime is a semi-local. Tnx for the test! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my reception of KSEY DX test, this e-mail received March 28 from the arranger and provider of the test material: ``Glenn, Based upon the details of your report for March 24, 2013 I can hereby confirm your reception of KSEY AM 1230 Seymour, TX at the times mentioned in your report. Thank you for taking the time to listen and file a reception report! Paul Walker``

I was hoping for an e-QSL card; available by p-mail only? Paul replies again: ``There's no e-qsl design. But a paper QSL is bring designed for mailed reports``. So an SASE has been mailed to Memphis (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, March 22 at 0531 UT, `ESPN Deportes` ID as I tune in. Only one found in NRC-AM Log 2012-2013 is KLDY in Washington (Seattle market), very unlikely here. That`s because it was not until after the Log was printed, that WODT New Orleans (née WDSU) flipped from English gospel to this network on Sept. 4, 2012, per
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WODT
As always, altho in Spanish, the letters ESPN are pronounced as in English, to forestall unfortunate penile connotations. Hey, why not? Sports-mania is a very masculine disorder (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1340, March 28 at 1217 UT, atop the graveyard, ``Sportsradio 13-40, the band(?)`` Not sure of last word, plugs website, facebook, twitter. Loops ENE/WSW so not my groundwaver KGHM OKC. 1219 mentions Texas Tech. Aha, it`s really ``The Fan`` as in KKAM Lubbock TX, vide http://1340thefan.com/ Distance between cities, if not transmitter/receiver sites, but close: 479 km = 298 miles. I don`t suppose that is a GY record (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 950, Sunday March 24 at 1222 UT, with adjacent local KGWA 960 nulled, Spanish vs English preachers making slow SAH. The English is presumably KJRG Newton KS, and first guess for the Spanish is XEFA Chihuahua city, tho I would be more pleased if it were KDCE Española NM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1060, March 28 at 0601 UT, Mexican music, no fast SAH so I am hoping it`s something other than 10 kW daytime gospel cheater KIJN Farwell TX on the NM border, which is off-frequency and usually heard with the fast SAH if there is any competition. Then the fast SAH comes and goes. Maybe KIJN is just peaking so strong as to overcome any SAH-producer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1410, March 28 at 0602 UT, gospel huxter in good Spanish but with perceptible gringo accent atop the QRM for a moment, and seems NE/SW. IRCA Mexican Log has no 1410 station with a specifically religious format; the NRC AM Log for the USA points to KHCH Huntsville TX, Radio Amistad, but it was silent as of last April, and that`s at a right angle from the Houston market. Current status? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1420, March 26 at 1314 UT, sounds like Don Imus, looping NW/SE but fading out half a sesquihour after sunrise here. Can`t find any 1420 affiliate on Imus website in adjacent or second-adjacent states. KULY Ulysses KS is supposedly country, and KJCK Junxion City KS program schedule confirms no Imus there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, March 28 at 1214 UT, KOKC with heavy SAH of 32/minute = 0.53 Hz, but absolutely no other audio than KOKC with `America`s Morning News`. Some station not modulating, warming up for sign-on? Still there by 1230 during KOKC local news headlines. I also suspected KOKC self-QRM by running backup transmitter, but the SAH seemed to peak in its null (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2620, March 27 at 1237 UT, music and English talk somewhat distorted, fade up and then out; presumably something harmonicizing from 1310. Also some JBA music on 2660, i.e. KGLD Tyler TX from 1330 kHz at 1240, really too late after 1224 sunrise here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)