[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 8-14, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, March 8-14, 2013

Note: if converting my UT logs to ``ELT``, remember that starting March 10 the difference is 4 hours instead of 5 hours.

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 780, March 10 at 0258 UT on caradio, big rippling SAH caused by daytimer KSPI Stillwater 250-watt carrier still on the air by groundwave, still tearing up WBBM by skywave (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, March 10 at 0600-0605 UT, KGWA Enid resumes a Fox-hole after filling it a couple nights, but nothing unusual heard, just ABC News always assumed to emanate from KMA Shenandoah IA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, March 13 at 0459 UT, a standard canned ID frequently played: ``since 1950, over 10 million people in Oklahoma have listened to KGWA, Enid``. How in the world do they come up with that, and how would they prove it? Considering the present population of OK is only 3.8+ million, the most ever, due to very slow growth, that`s quite a claim. Wikipedia shows census:

1950        2,233,351    -4.4%
1960        2,328,284     4.3%
1970        2,559,229     9.9%
1980        3,025,290    18.2%
1990        3,145,585     4.0%
2000        3,450,654     9.7%
2010        3,751,351     8.7%
Est. 2012   3,814,820     1.7%

Or course that would assume in any given year, roughly one of three Okies has listened to KGWA, but its 1 kW day & nite coverage area is nowhere near the whole state. It does get to OKC, where they could craftily include everyone who analog-tuned back and forth between WKY 930 and KTOK 1000, unavoidably hitting KGWA on the way! So they`ve `listened` to it for a split second. Count `em in! Another ID mentions the 5 or 6 counties it really covers. Maybe KGWA is adding up all their ratings figures for 62 years, which include *duplications* of individuals?

Since DST started, it so happened that the Fox-hole had been filled by Fox ``news`` at local midnite, which is now 0500 UT instead of 0600. But tonight the Hole is back, and during the hummy KGWA open carrier, it`s the #1 filler that we hear, ABC News, no doubt from KMA in Iowa (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, March 13 at 0504 UT, KOKP Perry is off the air again, good news for KDKA et al., but no SS audible filling the gap. This could be related to the fact that KOKP is also off the air in the daytime, at 1430 UT check. What`s wrong? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) KOKP back on March 14

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, March 9 at 2011 UT amid powerline noise and lightning crashes on the caradio, bits of weak music, must be KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa back on the air after a few weeks` silence, so still only 2 kW daytimer?

Yes, Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa wrote me earlier today: ``KEOR 1120 call letter ID in Spanish 1445Z 09MAR13 into SS religious vocal music`` --- so maybe they are back with a new format; music was not religious before, and they were *never* heard to ID, let alone announce anything during previous several months of testing (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1120, KEOR reactivated in daytime but not noted at night vs KMOX; perhaps this incarnation they will be playing by rules? (Glenn Hauser, OK, March 10, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, March 11 at 2005 UT on the caradio, no signal from KEOR, gone again, since it had shown up March 9 even with an ID (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1390, March 14 at 0555 UT check, our other local, KCRC is vying with KGWA in the dead-air sweepstakes; I dare to turn up the volume and null the strong carrier as best I can for a few minutes, but can only hear traces of understations. Its dead-air schedule is nowhere as reliable as KGWA`s (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, March 12 at 0104 UT check, promo for Dial Global Sports, as an ``upcoming show preview on the Big AM 16-50, KYHN, Fort Smith, Arkansas``. So they are *still* stunting, really from offices in Sallisaw OK, and transmitter on this side of the AR border (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 2000-USB, March 11 at 0103 quick check, New York Radio VOLMET, WSY70 is still here, weakly audible as in the first third of each hour. Has anybody found out if this is deliberately authorized? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 2660, March 12 at 1242 UT, very poor signal with gospel music, so KGLD Tyler TX is still harmonicizing from 1330, tho not always even a carrier audible any more (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1020, March 12 0555 UT, what luck, my semi-local KOKP Perry OK is not only not modulating but not carriering! It`s totally off, so what can I hear with KDKA nulled? Tropical music in Spanish. At first I suspect Cuba, but DFing this, it` more like N/S. There are six Mexicans on 1020, and four of them in the eastern part, any of which would be welcome. Of course fadedown for ID at 0600, but it`s by a SHVA (super-hype voice actor) which certainly rules out Cuba so it has to be Mexican --- or Unitedstatesian.

Oh oh, I bet it`s just KMMQ in Nebraska, which I normally hear when on 50 kW daypower around sunrise, but which does run 1400 watts at night, and the direxion fits. Furthermore, it did not play the Mexican NA at midnite CST. Better luck on 1150: see MEXICO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)