[IRCA] More intrigues in the Cook Islands

[IRCA] More intrigues in the Cook Islands

Further intrigues in the Cook Islands

    We’ve been around the island perhaps 20 times, and for the first
time, I noticed something very interesting directly south of the 630
transmitter tower at Matavera.  I don’t know how I could have missed
it, except that I was probably focused entirely on the MW tower.  On
the road, perhaps 100 m south, there’s a very large tall dipole array
which spans across the road with one wooden support (a good twice as
tall as the power poles) on the water side, and the other across the
road.  The wire is still in place with the lead in in the center
between the poles and the lead in (looks like coax) coming down and
now tied to a guard rail.  On top of that, right on the water line in
the same vicinity are two more tall poles, same height, and parallel
to the beach, but without any wires strung between them.  Clearly,
they were for SW, and judging from the height, something very
official.  I started to wonder whether these, perhaps were originally
for SW transmitters as well, or another receiving station at that end
of the island.  I would sure like to hear from others who might have
more information about this.  I’m hoping to go out there tomorrow.
The store that we wanted to see there was closed today, so we didn’t
get off.
     Talking with the bus driver, there’s precious little that is
publicly funded these days.  Even the bus service (a very important
essential service) is privately owned.  Apart from the airport,
police, and schools, I can’t see much evidence of any other public
service (water and power, too, I suppose).  With all this happening
back in the 80s, over ½ the population left the Cook Islands for
greener pastures in NZ, Australia, the other Pacific islands, and even
North America.  There are two or three times the number of Cook
Islanders elsewhere, than at home.  I earlier mentioned the large
court house where Guy had seen the burned remains of RCI, presumably
the SW transmitter(s) years ago.  Both this very large court house,
and equally opulent central police station a 100 or 200 meters down
the road were constructed by the Chinese.  A contentious issue, it
seems here.  Parliament is in session until today and that’s all
that’s heard on RCI from the late morning to later in the afternoon,
and I’ve heard mentions of “being paid off by the Chinese”, or “the
honourable member will have to check with his Chinese bosses” about
this or that!  In any case, time is quickly drawing to a close for our
time here in Rarotonga.  It’s been an extremely relaxing trip!  73,
Walt Salmaniw, Rarotonga