[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, December 7-13, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, December 7-13, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Dec 8 at 0118 UT, daytimer KEOR Sperry/Catoosa/Tulsa is still going with non-stop Mexican music, best in KMOX null, now with a 160/minute SAH = 2 and 2/3 Hz. I have also continued to hear KEOR whenever checked, day or night since last log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1590, Dec 13, and for many weeks, I have not been hearing KWEY Weatherford, either on home rigs or on caradio; it`s not that far away to the SW of here; daytime occupant and often at night or twilight is KVGB in Great Bend KS. So is KWEY really off the air? Well, KWEY`s day pattern does have quite a null toward us and Great Bend, with a broad pattern favoring the southwest, so maybe it is on.

The ONLY `Silent AM Station`` in OK, as of Dec 6 on the FCC list
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/newsite/docs/silentAM.html
is KEOR [1120], and as we have been hearing it every day and night, know it is one which is NOT silent, altho operating illegally with no IDs, and daytimer at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** U S A. 660, Dec 13 at 1428 UT, English ads for a business in Gallup, and Home Depot, then 1429 right into Navajo. Fair steady signal; that makes it KTNN Window Rock AZ, which I haven`t heard for some time, behaving itself with nighttime null toward New York. Now it`s definitely non-direxional daytime starting at 1415 UT in Dec, 1430 in January; KHAC 880 had been heard a bit earlier at 1408, again, in its case before same official sunrise (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 700, Dec 12 at 1407 UT a semihour after sunrise here, WLW is still barely audible with ID; nothing now from other easterly signals such as WSM or the Chicago clears (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 810, Dec 11 at 1433 UT, Radio Suave mostly in English but also bits of Spanish mixed in, Santa Fe ads for Ed`s Holiday Spirits, Gold Works on the Plaza which wants to melt down your gold. WHB KC MO nulled; 1-hour-fast TC at 1436 UT as 24:9, oops, as two chathosts resume. It`s KSWV on 5 kW non-direxional daypower. Sunrise in Dec is 1400 UT, Jan 1415. Natch, 770 KKOB also in much better. It`s a good New Mexico morning with several higher stations also heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Dec 11 at 1429 UT ad mentioning Richland, 1430 SRN ``News``, only headlines, but cut to dead air amid, back on just in time for closing at 1431; ad with 307 area code about Fremont County and Lander; Devil`s Tower Restaurant with buffalo burgers.

So this is KUYO in Evansville WY, which is a suburb of Casper, with addresses there, but wide reach around the state as a 25 kW nondirexional daytimer; also 9.2 kW critical hours. And a 2.0 watt PSRA Oct thru Jan starting at 1300 UT. Dec & Jan official sunrise is 1430 UT. Made a 4 Hz SAH with something, WCCO? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Dec 13 at 1430 UT, hoping for KXNT Nevada, but only weak signal here is still WHAS Louisville, with KY ad (and not KTIC NE either). Looking up FCC AM Query, official sunrise in Las Vegas is not until 1445 in Dec & Jan, in case KXNT is waiting for that. Ditto another 50 kW NV possibility to the east, KDWN 720, and WGN was still in at 1430 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, Dec 8 at 1335 UT, Vietnamese scripted talk, bits of piano music, 1340 fading; loops N/S. One thing for sure: it`s not Tarahumara, XETAR. By far the most likely US station to be heard here besides WWL is KFJZ, Fort Worth TX, which had been Spanish/Catholic as in NRC AM Log 2012. A bit of searching found this,
``Vietnamese American Broadcasting 1270 KFJZ``:
http://tunein.com/radio/VAB-Vietnamese-American-Broadcasting-870-s32636/
where Vietnamese audio autolaunches presumably from KFJZ rather than from any of a few other such stations also displayed on page. I wonder when it flipped? I suspect this had something to do with ChiCom imperialism, CRI relay bumping Vietnamese from another frequency. The last time I definitely logged KFJZ in Spanish was Oct 31, 2011.

This also linx to
http://www.vablive.com/
but is only under construxion and that also linx to:
http://esll.org/index.html
but doesn`t go anywhere.

Address in Farmers Branch TX is shown on the vablive page which is titled ``Tieng Noi The He Moi``; while the NRC AM Log 2012 showed an address in Houston, not even Fort Worth. Anyhow, 870 is a 1 kW direxional daytimer with PSRA of 0.5 kW. December SR-SS schedule is 1330-2330; January: 1330-2345 UT.

NRC Pattern Book of 2005y showed it non-direxional, but FCC AM Query now shows a broad pattern peaking NW with considerable null but not a notch toward WWL, of course. I wonder at what point between FW and NO the signals are equal on daytime groundwave?

Topo map for KFJZ via FCC, where the exact sites are NOT marked, indicates it`s somewhere among Garden Acres - Ft Worth Spinks Airport, Oak Grove, Rendon, Valley Ridge, Everman --- i.e. at the southern edge of Tarrant County, just east of I35W, i.e. south of Fort Worth. If KFJZ wanted to cover all of The Metroplex, yet protect WWL, it should have been sited on the SE side of Dallas. Office if not studio location in Farmers Branch, OTOH is on the NW side of Dallas. Is that a Vietnamese neighborhood?

Calls KFJZ are heritage, going back to original 1270, and also thence to original TV channel 11, pre-KTVT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

KFJZ -- Carrollton-Farmers Branch has a healthy Vietnamese population,
with Vietnamese grocery stores and restaurants in Farmers Branch and
southern Carrollton. There are also Vietnamese and Korean churches in
the area (David R. Block, Carrollton TX, primetimeshortwave yg via DXLD)

** U S A [non]. 880, Dec 13 at 1403 UT, `Canada Calling`, definitely not a C-station but aimed at snowbirds in Florida: a show we haven`t heard in years, outro at 1405 with plug for http://canadacalling.com and ``Prior Smith speaking from Toronto``. Was mostly about what`s going on back in Ontario.

We know this isn`t a Florida station either, but the one owned by the WTAN network in AR, i.e. KLRG Little Rock! How indirect can you get?
Just as I suspected, checking the station list on the CC website, KLRG is NOT included, tho Prior knows about some other non-FL stations in the so-called ``sunbelt``, TX, AZ and Bahamas. On WTAN 1340 Clearwater graveyarder the times are 9 am and noon ET. Quite a bonus, 50 kW KLRG, tho sponsors in Florida are a bit off-topic.

1406 UT right into `Imus in the Morning`; is that a KLRG show or a WTAN show? Says he is about to take time off for throat surgery and holiday vacation.

Meanwhile, hardly any signal from 880, KRVN Nebraska to N/S, but nulled anyway; could not be nulled: opposite station 880, KHAC Window Rock AZ, which was gaining ascendancy, first with an harmonious hymn, 1408 into Navajo study of Jeremiah VII, continued from yesterday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Dec 12 at 1412 UT, English citing Jeremiah and mixing in some Navajo, ergo KHAC Tse Bonito NM/Window Rock AZ; in null of KRVN. Nothing from 660 KTNN, KSWV 810 which was heard yesterday, and a little signal from KKOB 770.

Trouble is, official sunrise for KHAC in December is 1415 UT (January: 1430), when it can go from 430 watt night power to 10 kW day, always non-direxional. Its PSRA is also 430 yearound, so what`s the point of that? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, Dec 13 at 1431 UT, KSGL Wichita, but all I hear in the mornings are gospel-huxters: seems it has a double format with nostalgia music starting at 1705 UT weekdays with the syndicated `Bill Miller Show` and `Music You Remember` for sure after 1905 UT. Schedule: http://www.ksgl.com/3.html
KSGL is my closest 900, but 250 watts means not much signal here (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGST)

** U S A. 930, Dec 11 at 1404 UT, CBS News; 1405 frustrating string of national ads; 1408 Heating & Cooling at 785-6768, but I don`t have to search for that since at 1409 some classic rock as theme music, open YL talk show `Britney (sp?) in the Morning` (?), mentions sponsor in Poplar Bluff, so it is Missouri`s KWOC, 5 kW non-direxional day pattern. With WKY OKC precisely nulled, of course.

Here`s a station with a minute-by-minute program schedule:
http://kwoc2.mrrinteractive.com/talk-radio-programs/

Including:
``8:00-9:00 AM Brittney on the Bluff – Your connection to everything local. Brittney brings you information about area happenings, entertainment, educational opportunities, charitable events and more``

Home page reveals meaning of call letters:
http://www.kwoc.com/
``Keeping Watch on Our City`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1040, Dec 11 at 1456 UT, laughing ``Jingle Bells``, DJ refers to his email starting Tron-radio (?), taking a break until 1 pm. 1458 ad for Airplane Restaurant in Colorado Springs, i.e. KCBR, 15 kW non-direxional days. 1060 also had good signal from NW, another Coloradan (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Dec 11 at 1454 UT, Wichita headlines from the KFTI News Center, then 16 degrees from Storm Team 12; see KFTI.com; then non-ID for the station this really is, ``1070 AM, True Oldies``, i.e. KLIO. An hour earlier caused usual fast SAH with KNX since KLIO is always off-frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Sunday Dec 9 at 1334 UT, Zydeco song from the direxion of KWKH Shreveport LA --- have they come to their senses and gone back to a country music format? No! The song is about LSU, and soon ``1130 the Tiger`` slogan (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1180, Dec 10 at 1415 UT, traffic report involving high-numbered triple-digit streets in the 100-200 range; must be huge city, ID as ``Zone Two, the Deuce`` and Omaha ads. So it`s KZOT, And obviously playing second-fiddle to plain old ``The Zone``, KOZN 1620; both of them licensed to Bellevue, which is a southern suburb next to Offutt AFB. As for the Omaha streets, my Rand McNally atlas goes out as far as 216, west of downtown, the numbered streets being north/south

{Continuing this learning experience: in Omaha the arterial streets are 12 blox apart: 204, 192, 180, 168, etc.; while on south side of Tulsa they are every 10 blox: 11, 21, 31, 41, etc. On north side of OKC they start out being 13 blox apart: 10, 23, 36, but 49 loses out to 50, 63, then 15 apart: 78 (Wilshire), 93 (Britton), 108 (Hefner), but then 122 . . .} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1180, Dec 12 at 1420 UT, in Omaha null, spirited Spanish sports discussion about Mexico, mentions MLS several times past 1425. Probably ESPN-Deportes network, and the only fit in NRC AM Log 2012 is: KGOL Humble TX (Houston market), 50/3 kW and now on day power. FCC AM Query shows 2-tower daytime direxional pattern is broad favoring the southwest, with much reduced signal toward us but not a sharp null (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1260, Dec 11 at 1452 UT sounds like Stephanie Miller, taking a caller from California; then seems matched to 1350 KABQ which is about to fade out. So it`s NM`s other Progressive station, KTRC in Santa Fe, also on 5 kW non-direxional day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, Dec 13 at 1413 UT, KSOK Arkansas City KS, semi-local, but with strange slogan ID for Ark City as a ``Y2K-Protected Community`` --- wonder what the story is behind that? Hmm, yes, I guess it did survive Y2K! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, Dec 11 at 1449 UT, after hearing some other NM stations, I find Navajo here, but including English expressions such as ``24-inch hi-fi TV``, into English C&W song ``Parties for Two``. Of course, it has to be KGAK in Gallup NM, on 5 kW non-direxional day antenna. NRC AM Log shows it in Navajo and Spanish, not English. This and others are more than an hour after Enid sunrise of 1333 UT today, with 10 minutes to go before latest sunrise 1343 in early January (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1350, Dec 11 at 1447 UT, Stephanie Miller going to a break with ``46 past the hour`` timecheck, ``Albuquerque`s Progressive Talk, AM 1350``, Angie`s List ad. Dominant on frequency at the moment, 5 kW non-direxional day pattern since 1400.

I remember when KABQ was ABQ`s number one (and only?) Spanish station from a discrete studio building (and tower?) on Yale SE; now all that has changed. I notice FCC AM Query has a link to History Cards for KABQ, a feature I had not noticed before. This leads to a 29-page pdf of FCC records going way back, the cards very worn with messy typewriter entries, and fortunately now preserved before they deteriorate completely:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/HistoryCards/65394.pdf

The last item shows that in 1981 a construxion permit for 50 kW on 660 kHz was ``returned``, as a ``major environmental action``. Of course, KTNN in Window Rock wound up with that plum (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, Dec 13 at 1420 UT, KBXD Dallas preacher but now making an 88/minute = 1.47 Hz SAH with presumed KQAM Wichita. In any event, it appears that KBXD has moved closer to 1480.000 than evidenced by the fast SAH it had been making since rebuilding and reactivation (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, Dec 13 at 1434 UT, refers to University Drive, then ``Money Radio 15-10``, loops E/W, and certainly KFNN Mesa AZ, no doubt on 22 kW daypower instead of 100 watts night; official sunrise in Dec & Jan is 1430 UT. Also has 4-watt PSRA Oct-Feb, no more than 10 watts other months, due to KGA Spokane. But night power of 100 ought to apply right thru to sunrise, so no point in a PSRA of 1/25 that much! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 960, Dec 13 at 0603 UT, during KGWA silent period, some harmonica bluesy music, which points to format of WABG in Greenwood, Mississippi, but have never been able to get a definite ID during this 5-minute window wherein several other stations vie for dominance, oblivious of what`s happening in Enid (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 970, UT Sunday Dec 9 at 0646, Jack Benny from east/west. Probably an episode of `When Radio Was`. Extensive website http://www.radiospirits.com dedicated to selling this public-domain stuff, makes one search state by state for affiliates, so I checked all likely states E/W and some closer ones in other direxions, but no 970 at this hour. Jack Benny is included. WRW often plays on news/talk stations as a respite from the hard stuff, e.g. WBBM and WCCO. Or it could be some other OTR show. Really I should consider first KCFO in nearby Tulsa. They do have a program schedule,
http://www.kcfo.com/html/sunday.html
but conveniently with a gap from 12 to 5 am CT Sundays (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1070, Dec 13 at 1359 UT, talking about something concerning Sherwood Forest, apparently a local place rather than England, right thru TOH with no ID, but of course fading at 1402 when there may have been an ID sounding like WGIH, then taking a caller. No such station, but top Sherwood Forest hits go to Pigeon Forge TN, also in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana. Could be WFLI Chattanooga altho well past sunrise and WHAS was still in at 1430; heard in the E/W null of KLIO Wichita (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1310, Dec 8 at 1346 UT, romantic music in Spanish, soon fading, east-west. Lots of SS stations on 1310 in the USA, but perhaps most likely now is KKNS Corrales (Albuquerque) NM, which is ``El Camino``, Spanish contemporary Christian. However, official December sunrise is not until 1400 UT (January: 1415) when 5 kW non-direxional day power is legal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1310, Sunday Dec 9 at 1347 UT, song in Spanish from east/west, mentioning ``pecado`` in the lyrix, then another romantic-sounding song, but really religious, as I continue to suspect KKNS Corrales NM, ``contemporary Christian in Spanish``, which is not supposed to be on 5 kW day power until 1400 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)