 From: Stephen Airy <pianoplayer88key@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:14 PM
Subject: [IRCA] (error/redo) For eastern USA DXers (or anywhere) - is this typical/routine GY reception?

Hi all ... so almost a couple months ago I caught this...

http://youtu.be/91crQZQxLP0

That
was, I think, KTUC Tuscon, AZ, about 349 mi / 562 km from me, heading 94° (reverse 277°).  Or, could it have been KCYK Yuma, AZ, which is about 134 mi / 215 km at a heading of 93° / 274°?  KTUC is listed as Nostalgia, and KCYK is Country according to Radio-Locator.  I'm leaning toward KTUC, as I was often hearing music from the 50s, 60s, etc when pointing my radio to the east.  It's possible that KCYK could have popped up briefly though.  Interesting thing is, the song is one that I've always thought as being similar to some of the upbeat 50s / early
60s pop music (before the Beatles), but per Wikipedia, apparently it came out in like 1975?

I actually started the recording a bit after the strength had started to wane somewhat.  A minute or two prior, it was a cleaner signal, and was indicating up around a moderately solid 50-54 dBµ or so on the Tecsun's signal strength display.  That's a strength normally reserved for 50kW clears, and even then only exceeded on propagation peaks by nearby directional 50kW stations like KDWN, KCBS, KXNT (25kW night), KMIK, whose main lobes are aimed pretty much right at me.
In the several days/weeks surrounding that, KKJL San Luis Obispo, CA from 274 miles NW, also nostalgia per R-L, was quite common, to the point where I was listening to it for the music, not for DXing
(and it would have been a candidate for a preset on some radios). :)
(It was in a deep fade when I recorded that video, though, besides
coming from another direction.)

So for you DXers out there ... is that typical routine graveyard DX reception, say, in the eastern states?
Or
is it even remotely possible (assuming that was KTUC @ 349 mi, not KCYK @ 134 mi), that for a few minutes I had a graveyard station coming in
clearer than some of you regularly receive some "clear" stations even if you're the same distance or closer to the transmitter? ;) Could the
roles of "graveyard" vs "clear channel" have temporarily been reversed?
:)