[IRCA] Halloween's sunset skip was probably my best ever

[IRCA] Halloween's sunset skip was probably my best ever

Times CDT

The end of Oct has often proven to be outstanding for SSS DX and while this year was decent, things became superb on Halloween night. I'll provide a reasonable synopsis here. I arrived home just a bit too late to get an 1800 recording to the south so I soon drove into my east field to use my west antenna and recorded 5 min segments of the entire band for each 15 minute sunset switch time period between 1900 and 2030 when the west coast switches.

I knew things should be quite good when CHRB was dominant on 1140 at 1900 which certainly is early for AB. As expected during cx like this, CO was in very well. The only new ones were 1300 KCSF loud with "The Animal" slogan and 690 KWRP somewhat later with mx // 1530 KCMN. 690 CKBF1 was blasting in with FF before they switched to night rig. Around 1920, Montana was showing on 1180 and 1150. KSEN 1150 was quite good with Super Gold but rarely ID's although I noted an political ad in passing. I was already getting bothered by KSL's IBOC. Onward to 1930 and AZ was in on 1580 and also 1550 for a while with FM-89 ment and local NPR stuff. X-banders can really skip in early and traces of KNTS had been noted as early as 1900 and by now it was dominating 1680. Tuning around at 1947 I noted a KBRV ID on 800 and assumed that they'd stayed on day power a bit late, but apparently they were stuck on day power for a couple days as many heard them. Once again it seems that good reception o!
 f KSEN from MT on 1150 doesn't continue into WA where there's two that run 5 kW ND days on 1150.

As time approached 2000 it was very clear that things were turning into a spectacular mid/upper band west coast sunset opening. Oct switch time for Vegas is 2000, LA 2015 and Sacto/SF/Portland/Seattle 2030 CDT. By 2000 KNX was dominant on 1070, Vegas had been in well on 1100 with sports and ads o/u WTAM. No luck with needed Vegas on 1060 however. 1080 had ESPN promos but so I assume KVNI as heard a few days prior as Portland wasn't noted this early anywhere. 1530 KFBK basically dominated the channel from 2000-2030. 1690 KFSG was loud pounding Disney and WVON with RR into ID in EE.

KRGI 1430 seemed to be running day power for a local HFSB playoff game, but just prior to 2000 an ESPN promo came up and sure enough at the hour .."(something's sd/lk Asotin's) Sports Leader KCLK" !!! Never before have I had a 5 kwer from a west coast state on a crowded high band regional channel. Also a KVEL ID on 920 noted for a new one at 2000 and an ID from rare KHAC 880, both should've been night power by then.

As time approached 2115 the LA area was rocking. Disney noted in mix on 1150 must be KDIS and it disappeared when it switched, some cl mx noted underneath others on 1260 should be KMZT and it seemed to switch at 2014. 830 had KLAA under WCCO with an add for something at Honda Center. 1670 had some SS rlg under WTDY on peaks so sb KHPY logged here a couple seasons ago. 1650 had Radio Soeul sometimes equal to KBJD/KCNZ and still slightly audible after they switched to 490 watts !!

A real treat was hearing KZMJ 1120 with Viet talk slightly peaking above KMOX and then an ID in accented EE. Best I've ever noted that one.

As we approached 2030, Sacto was nice on 1140, and KEX on 1190 into TrailBlazers pre-game. KNRO was under WTDY with area ads and into Fox Sports. 1700 had XEPE often crushing KBGG from 2000 onward.

I have a few unIDs to post to Real DX where I just can't copy calls slogan on 910,930 nor copy much of the SS on 1150 which seemed to disappear at 2015.

GYers west of Central Dakotas/Nebraska not noted.

73 KAZ Barrington IL Perseus and Double KAZ antenna 21 ft x 113 ft aimed west with great nulls to the east