From: Doug Smith W9WI <dougw9wi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: am <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Nov 6, 2012 7:34 pm
Subject: Re: [NRC-AM] Memphis 990, Virginia 710

brockradio@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I didn't know the WIVK calls were used on 990. I remember them as a
> 50,000 watt daytimer on 850 when they moved from a local channel
> (1490?) and WIVK FM was the ratings grabber. I remember 990 as WNOX with
> a top-40 format.

The WIVK and WNOX calls have moved around a bit.....

AM 850:
WHIG to Oct. 1984
*WIVK* to Sept. 1988
WUTK to Jan. 1997
WIOL to Aug. 1998
WJBZ to Sept. 1999
WKVL since 1999

AM 990:
*WNOX* to Apr. 1988
WTNZ to ??
*WIVK* to Aug. 1997
*WNOX* to May 2005
WNML since 2005

AM 940 in Miami was *WIVK* for two months in the fall of 1988.

FM 99.1 (Loudon at the time, now Friendsville, both covering Knoxville):
WLOD-FM to Oct. 1991
*WNOX* to Aug. 1997
*WNOX-FM* to May 2005
WNML-FM since 2005

FM 100.3 (Oak Ridge, covering Knoxville):
WOKI-FM to May 2005
*WNOX* since 2005

FM 107.7:
*WIVK-FM* since at least April 1979.