Re: [IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 21-27, 2012

Re: [IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 21-27, 2012

A few more:

** MEXICO. 800, Sept 27 at 1207 UT, no problem surpassing KQCV OKC when nulled, ``XEROK, Radio Cañón, la estación más potente del norte de México, 50,000 watts``, then opening newscast called ``Calibre 800``, over and over, ``el mejor noticiero de la radio``. Not sure about that name, maybe contraxion of ``canal libre``? which this hardly is, any more.

As for the name ``Cañón``, not in the sense of canyon, a deep depression in the landscape, but in the sense of blasting in like a cannon. Surely there are some other 50 kW stations in northern Mexico; back when it was 150 kW the claim would have been true, unless XERF was then 250 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 880, Sept 27 at 1205 UT, crime news referring to Torreón and sister city Gómez Palacio, ergo per Cantú:
880 XETC Kiuu + FM 91.1 Torreón, Coah. 10,000 1,000

I am still curious where that strange non-Spanish name Kiuu comes from (and which I have yet to hear mentioned on the air). Google translate detects it as a Filipino word but can`t translate it from that. Google itself finds that Kiuu is also a place in Kenya; there is a Facebook.com/Kiuumexico which has just celebrated its first birthday. It has something to do with K-pop as in South Korean music. Related? But I don`t find any mention of XETC there.

Here`s website of the station along with FM 91.1:
http://www.kiuu.gremradio.com.mx/
Logo of a circle with a tail implies it is merely a way of misspelling the letter Q in English so it will be pronounced in Spanish as if it were English. Could be it is also masquerading as a US station with an unofficial K-call (like some Canadians do), so is there a real KIUU in the USA? Not on AM or FM, says FCC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 900, Sept 27 at 1218 UT, SEP and IFE PSAs, ``lo mejor de la música country, Hits ---`` (lightning crash), and then a C&W song in English; WSW. So it`s one of my regulars, as in Cantú:
900 XEDT Hits FM + FM 98.3 Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)