From: Steve Francis <amdxmail@xxxxxxx>
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [NRC-AM] Trying to solve unIDs on 540 from January 1993

WWCS was the first thing I thought of, too.  But the October 30, 1991 Pittsburgh Press, in a story headed "WWCS Owners Lament End of Classical Format", says they dumped classical for paid religion in September of that year, fifteen months before Rick's unIDs during the KNAK DX test period.

Were insatiable local hucksters to blame for the format change?

Jeffrey Warshaw, a VP of owner Universal Broadcasting, said, "It's a black eye on the city of Pittsburgh.  For four years we were rejected by the advertising and business community of Pittsburgh.  Although listeners were very loyal, there weren't enough to satisfy the ad agencies in town."

Station is a pest here under any calls or format, unlike the Maryland and Long Island stations, neither of which has ever made an appearance.

Steve Francis
Alcoa, Tennessee