Re: [IRCA] Luxembourg huge on 1440 KHz

On Tuesday 14 February 2012 19:51:39 Sylvain Naud wrote:
> Barry,  the Perseus capture where that recording came from wasn't so
> impressive overall. But when propagation is favourable which was the
> case obviously especially for the higher part of the band and RTL is
> knocking in, be ready for some massive signal as the one you heard in
> the audio clip... I didn't made the test but I wouldn't be surprised
> that even one of the 100ft long wires that I use for phasing would have
> caught it. 1200 Kw is a lot of RF power.

I've experienced good propagation that (very occasionally) produces clear
audio from a high power TA signal, but certainly not on a crowded domestic
regional channel like 1440.  To accomplish that, I think you either need a
highly directional antenna like a Beverage (not an antenna with a figure-8 or
cardioid pattern, like most of us have), or you need to be at a coastal
location, east of all those domestic signals.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON