Re: [IRCA] DXpedition to Lubec, Maine

On Jan 28, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Walter Salmaniw wrote:

> Now, is this something that can be "permanent"?
> For instance, if I looked at these pages in 20 years, would the links
> still work?  .....Walt

Interesting question Walt.  Sounds like there might be a retirement business model wrapped in there somewhere.  ;-)

Since widespread public use of the internet is really only just over 20 years old - I put up my first website in 1993 - 'permanent' takes on a different meaning.

Short answer to your question is yes -- assuming I don't loose interest or die, the links you're looking at for my DXpedition are not going anywhere.

Longer answer is a bit more complicated.

While I host my own webpages for several domains here at home on a T1 circuit there are many places that do virtual hosting, where the servers and hi-speed internet connectivity exist elsewhere and you interact with them via the web.

And while you need to get familiar with some programming to put together the site referenced in this email, there are lots of approaches that don't require that.

You recall Guy Atkins' Five Below blog.  That was virtually hosted at a couple of different places over time, didn't require Guy to know PHP or MySQL programming but was one of the best places to learn about developments in SDR receivers, west coast DXpeditions and a whole host of other topics.

Like so many things, it's interesting content that's hard to come by not the place to put it.