Re: [IRCA] Missing websites? A bit off topic.

Re: [IRCA] Missing websites? A bit off topic.

Can anyone Stateside clarify what has happened to missing geomagnetic info sites
www.swpc.noaa.gov and www.swpc.noaa.gov which are coming up "Sorry, the website cannot be found."
Any help appreciated.

This is an occasional problem here also Barry. I check the site fairly regularly, but often get this message the first time round. A refresh of the browser usually brings it back (but not always). Using Firefox 4.0.1 here, I should check with other browsers maybe.

I have run into this in the past, and it's almost always an issue with the Domain Name Server (DNS) and not the browser itself. In Windows the DNS can be added or changed quite simply. I use a common one with an IP address of 4.2.2.1 which usually corrects something you know exists but the browser can't find. Contact me off list if you need help adding it.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI

I've been using Open DNS <http://www.opendns.com/> for a while and never had a problem with it.

They have servers in London, Frankfurt, Singapore and Amsterdam for those across the pond. Addresses are resolved about as quickly as my local provider with the "unable to resolve DNS" error almost unknown. It's free for home users and I've never gotten any Spam from them.

I like it because there are children who visit and I can block "adult content", phishing, botnet and malware sites at the router. It also has simple to understand instructions of how to set it up.

I do not have any financial interest in Open DNS, just passing this on because I think it's a good product.

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD