Re: [IRCA] Local Radio Is Getting Tuned Out.

Re: [IRCA] Local Radio Is Getting Tuned Out.

Mike,

For the past 6-7 years I've listened to WDVX-FM on the internet. They announce CoL as Clinton TN but are aimed at Knoxville mainly. Apparently they are doing well (listener sponsorship for the most part) & are definitely local programming with a local owner. My favorite station...Plays bluegrass mostly.

Don Kaskey
San Francisco CA

Mike Pietruk wrote:
Steve It is interesting to compare the ground conductivity in your E tn area to say that of NW Ia discussed earlier in this thread. My wife and I spent a week back in Aug looking around Blount (for outsiders, it is pronounced Blunt) and Knox Counties, and it is hard to imagine why anyone would put much effort into AM broadcasting where the signal could reach unless perhaps you had the daytime 50kw of 850 or a nice low freq of 620 such as wrjz has. It is hard to imagine why anyone would invest in Blount's local 3 AMERS (1120, 1400 and 1470) and perhaps it is amazing that they are even on the air at all. I don't know enough about suburban Knoxville radio, but I can only guess that any efforts to localize these 3 freqs in the last 2 decades amounted in disaster. I scratch my head wondering why the company owning 1380 licensed to Clinton on the other side of the metro, bought am1400 and essentially airs a country classics format with content targeted to a local Clinton community (for Clinton listeners, they are actually doing a nice job; but for Alcoa/Maryville, I doubt that it draws flies).

Yes, what is happening at Clear Channel and Cumulus is hardly good for radio; but, on the other hand, it is response to how the economics of the business are changing as well as the economy and what people out there want and use for their info and entertainment needs. l

Bible study has torn my life apart and remade it. That is to say that God,
through his Word, has done so.
--  Derek Tidball, author  of "The Message of Holiness: Restoring God's
Masterpiece"