Re: [IRCA] pips on 1566

I have nothing current on this but back around 1976-78 when I was up pre dawn most every day I found all sorts of asian stations with "pips"...Japan & South Korea used 3 low 1 high altho they were different from each other. I actually had my wife listen to the recordings and identify the different notes used. Sadly that much toiled for information is not with us anymore :-) . Chinese stations usually used a 5 & l set of notes. I also heard lots of (what I thought were) 4 & 1 or 2 & 1 pips but never could be sure. When 2 or 3 stations were giving their 'pip' IDs at the same time it became mini chaos, even on a recorder. At any rate I'd bet what you heard with 5 & 1 pips was a Chinese station. The Russians used 6 low pips somewhat similar to the Aussies.

Don Kaskey
San Francisco CA

Bruce Portzer wrote:
I heard Chinese talk behind HLAZ a few times last weekend at Grayland. I also heard either 4+1 or 5+1 pips a couple of times. I'm not done going through the files, but so far it's always been too weak for any hope of an ID. The NHK style pips are intriguing and don't seem to fit anything I have listed in the PAL.

Bruce